Real Carnitas.....pics

Well, being tomorrow is going to be a busy day I guess I'll get this out of the way now. I so wanted to take the rib rack out of this but its not to be. It will be steamed with spices, well most of it........

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NjYuanBn.jpg

Most of the sheeps organs and small intestine after boiling in water. This got chopped up and will be combined with chipotle chili, corn, carrots, garbonzo beans and green beans. Then stuffed into the stomach and steamed as well.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0NzUuanBn.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Wow this thread is awesome! My best friend is from Calvillo, Aguascalientes and has taught me how to do much of this over the years. The efficiency of the process and use of the whole animal is just amazing isn't it? This is by far one of if not the best thread I've read in a LONG time! A sincere "thank you" for documenting this and sharing Pugi, kudos!

Well I'm up and going. Yesterday was a long, hot day and I can feel it today. First things first, off to church, I'll have some pics in about four hours.

To start, I do not feel good, getting the flu I think. Will still take pictures but may be slow to post. Lunch is a sodequaw taco with pickled carrots and onion. Sodequaw is the fried small intestine cooked in blood. It was awesome!!!

utf-8BSU1BRzA0OTUuanBn.jpg

Cooking with wood today. Being its not for smoke and just heat, it is whatever dry wood laying around. We feed slowly to keep the lard at a slow simmer.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0ODQuanBn.jpg

We had to add another 25 lb block of frozen lard to top off. The pot is about 45 gallons. Really not much to see. The legs were cut off whole and cooked whole. Pretty much we cook the largest chunks of meat we can. On top of all the meat is the skin. This helps keep the heat in and to eliminate to much splashing of hot lard when pot is full. Slow simmer is the key. Should take 3 or 4 hours. It will be fall of the bone when done.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0OTAuanBn.jpg

Moving the frozen lard around to get it to melt with the hook. The hook is used to retrieve or move meat in hot lard. It it used to s ape the sides and bottom to ensure no burning. We do this very gently. It's almost like if your looking your not cooking. We don't want to break up the large pieces of meat.

utf-8BSU1BRzA0OTIuanBn.jpg

Back