Thermometer Probe Wires

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have a Performer and just picked up the Maverick 733. I'd like to know how you guys run your thermometer wires. I had planned to run them under the lid but the instructions frown on that and I've read that there can be issues with heat leaking and temp control issues. Another option is to run them through the exhaust vents but then it would be a pain when opening the lid. What's the suggested method here?

I have a Performer and just picked up the Maverick 733. I'd like to know how you guys run your thermometer wires. I had planned to run them under the lid but the instructions frown on that and I've read that there can be issues with heat leaking and temp control issues. Another option is to run them through the exhaust vents but then it would be a pain when opening the lid. What's the suggested method here?

There was a thread where someone ground a notch in their WSM for probe wires. Can't think of why that wouldn't work for the Performer.

I drilled a hole in our UDS just big enough for the probe to pass..Drilled directly under the top cooking grate..The smoke loss from said hole is very minimal..Def not the most glamorous mod out there but it does work..

Drilled a small hole in the side of our UDS just below the top grate..Works great with very very minimal smoke loss..Won't win any glamour awards but does the trick!

I did a test run with the 733. I wrapped part of the wire in foil and ran it between the lid and the bowl. It seems to have held up well but I'm sure this will take it's toll over time. I'm going to work on making a notch and run it through that.

Drilled a small hole in the side of our UDS just below the top grate..Works great with very very minimal smoke loss..Won't win any glamour awards but does the trick!

What he said. Look at the Cajun Bandit grommets.

I copied the idea I read somewhere here which is drilling a hole through a bolt just large enough for the probe to pass through, then drilled a hole in my UDS just large enough to pass the bolt through and then put a nut on the bolt to tighten it up.

Back