Cook for fundraiser

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Im thinking about doing some catering to offset some competition entry fees & etc. I know of some prior fundraisers by high school baseball teams and they obviously weren't serve safe certified... So my question is, if I cook as a fundraiser for my BBQ team will I be in the wrong legally If I don't have serve safe cert. &/or any permits?

Thanks

Legally yes but in my area they seem to overlook it.

I would imagine most police would overlook this but I'd hate to cook for that 1 jerk.... Who would be the right person to actually ask this question to?

Baseball teams, churches, schools, ect. do not have to be certified because they are non-proft organizations. A BBQ team that competes for profit (cash prizes) would not qualify under the same rules.

Baseball teams, churches, schools, ect. do not have to be certified because they are non-proft organizations. A BBQ team that competes for profit (cash prizes) would not qualify under the same rules.

ahhh... that does make sense... :thumb:

Legally in the state of Virginia they do, how ever the health dept does to an extent seem to look over them. The law as written says that you can cook for members of your club/organization no more than once every 11 months. I would suggest talking to your local health dept to see what they say because they are the ones who have the final decision.

How would you make any money cooking for a fundraiser? All funds raised go somewhere other than you?

How would you make any money cooking for a fundraiser? All funds raised go somewhere other than you?

He is the receiver of the funds being raised. He wants to sell his food to make money to support his comp expenses.

Well its kind of a gray area in my opinion... I want to cook for people and lets say I get a $100 profit.... Well I want to put that into an account that is used only for bbq comps entry fees.

Next summer I plan on getting the actual certifications to cater and then it won't be as big of a deal... but in the mean time it would be nice to have my team do some cooks for people to pay for entry fees etc.

Start off with knowledge(Safe Serve classes) first. Then you can proceed correctly. Not get people sick, not have a good reputation or food because of improper food handling etc.Most of the time people think of saving up money and knowledge to get legal. What about the event where someone does get ill, you have no knowledge of food handling or insurance? Then how would one be saving money ? Lawsuits are neither fun or cheap. So why put yourself right in the thick of such? To all reading, do it right or DON'T. Learn before charging. Work with someone who has knowledge, just don't learn on the public. Steve.

Have you thought about cooking extra comp meats and selling them to your friends and family to recoupe some of your expenses?

Have you thought about cooking extra comp meats and selling them to your friends and family to recoupe some of your expenses?

every time we compete i end up so mad and thinking we sucked that I don't want any of the bbq nor would I sell it to anyone... I generally just give it away to get rid of it... and then we end up doing ok! top 10 mostly...

Sounds like you want to be a caterer to raise money for competitions but not be a caterer and comply with all the regulations.

its just a simply question dude... relax, i'm not gonna take any of your buisness from california... :twitch:

I got the answer I needed without the seemingly smart A remarks...

Back