Kids Only Event

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've been tossing around the idea of how a person would do a large kids only event somewhere, around Kansas City most likely. It should be something big enough that it could attract kids from other parts of the country as well. Maybe a contest that invites Kids Q winners from all season. Sort of a "Jack" for kids. Any thoughts on this? And specifically for some of you folks not in the midwest area, would you pack up stuff and hit the road for a championship contest just for your kids? What would it take for you to bring kids to something like this?

I haven't seen enough Kids Q's to gauge what age group draws the most kids, but I would think if this ever took place would be to potentially tie it in with education where some types of scholarship monies were set up for the winners (ex. 529 savings plan) to support education.

My daughter is just under 4 so does not compete. If she ever expresses an interest in trying a Kids Q as she gets a bit older I don't think I would pack up to go cross country to compete at a larger national event unless it was truly a passion for her and there was something she could benefit from and not just something that the parents want to see happen.

Yep, Vinny, a 529 was something I had thought about. For those of us who have kids that really enjoy Kids Q, it might be something to consider. Anything to help strengthen the future of competitive BBQ.

Jeff-
You would likely have to couple it with lots of classes for the kids, on food safety, fire safety, etc. I would think it would be tough to build it around a "competition" - when the Kid's Ques typically only last for 2-3 hours. Maybe make it a learning weekend - knife saftey - firebuilding - make your own rub - etc. Get some folks to donate time to teach classes... and have it culminate in a competition at the end of the weekend. chicken or ribs maybe?

Start small and go local only first... well not "only" but don't over extend and hope that you're going to get a lot of travelers. I think HoDeDo brings a good idea by coupling it with a class of some sort.

Most kids don't have the patience for "classes" like that. Maybe for older kids, but not under 10, I'd think.

I like your ideas, Andy. But I do kind of agree with Todd... patience would be lacking. But I think if you kept it fairly brief for the younger ones (havea separate group), it could at least get some important lessons across that would stick.

Kids are competitive and want to have fun. Learning is not typically high on their list, IMHO.

If the class was tought by a guy in a pig outfit they wouyld pay attention... maybe if he did dances between spritzes

I think a "Kid's only" comp is a great idea.
But, lots of challenges to overcome. :oops:

Most parent's are not gonna travel far for one. At least not until it was "established" on a larger scale. The first few would probably draw only "really local" families.
If it ever caught on and grew into a "circuit" as you mentioned--with lots of financial and/or emotional awards..... the sky would be the limit.
I do think it would be a fun day to spend watching the kiddos "do their thing" :lol:

Classes?
I think for now, most Kid's Que challengers have a family deeply involved in comps.
I do not know if Daddy or Mommy would feel the need and encourage classes for something they normally teach the child.
I could really be wrong on that.
And, as it has been mentioned, "attention span" and "content/delivery" would be challenges. For sure.

Now--there is a group out there that has developed comps between High Schools. Each school trains and fields a team and it becomes a rivalry.
Sounded like a winner.
I can not find the references I had to it :oops:

Anyway---lots of possibilities and it might develop into a great thing.
Would probably take several years to catch on--but worth it.

Good luck whatever you come up with.

TIM

I know my son would love to compete in a kids only comp. If the kids are really interested in cooking they would like the classes. My son Kyle is 16 and has taken a Dr. BBQ weekend class and liked it. My only question is if the kids have competed and won - be it a Kids Q or Grilling contest would there be any problems. Kyle competed in a backyard BBQ contest and won RGC and there were comments made that he was a professional.

sounds like a heck of an idea to me.
maybe keep it simple cooking only two items ie: ribs and chicken.
Mabe set it up like a 2 or 3 person per team event, so they can meet other kids that are interested in the same thing .....BBQ!

Most kids don't have the patience for "classes" like that. Maybe for older kids, but not under 10, I'd think.

Obviously not a true "class"... something interactive and age appropriate. Iowa has the university pork folks in for an interactive 1/2 hr session, that includes blowing up latex gloves, jello piggy parts, and handwashing and coloring.

I like your ideas, Andy. But I do kind of agree with Todd... patience would be lacking. But I think if you kept it fairly brief for the younger ones (havea separate group), it could at least get some important lessons across that would stick.

This was actually my point - I think it would be hard to draw folks in from all over for something as short as a kid's que. Tough to justify driving to someplace to do 2 hours of kids comp only. I think something that has enough different activities to make it a destination for a day long "event" including a bunch of other activities that have BBQ themes to them, and I think you will get more folks. definitely short, concise lessons that would hopefully stick. :roll:

Good idea - Definately some challenges to make it happen :grin:

Back