How do you store your Offset?

Smokeat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was looking at the pics of Damn True's shiny new Lang pit, and it started me wondering how most of us store our stickburners. The shape is awkward which makes covering with a tarp very difficult. I think I have seen custom made covers available for some smokers, but I have not actually seen one.

Ideally I would love to store all my grills and smokers in the garage or inside, but for now that is not an option. I have covers for all the other stuff, but my offset sits out in the elements. How should they be stored?

any shop that makes custom boat covers could whip up something in no time

That would cost more than the pit itself, for My pit, definitely not a lang.

Last edited:
no way

I had one made up for my 24 ft boat, its was about $600 but that was a big job using lots of fabric and time

I bet one could be made for $200 tops

Sounds like a good deal on the boat cover. BTW, my offset cost exactly $200.

Sounds like a good deal on the boat cover. BTW, my offset cost exactly $200.

I was talking about covering his Lang

I am sure you could get a generic cover from HD for $30 for yours. I paid that for the one for my OK Joe from Lowes, I bet it would fit yours too

Only problem is that OK Joe, CG & Horizon smokers (what's sold at Lowes & Basspro) all have the stack on the other end.

I was talking about covering his Lang

I am sure you could get a generic cover from HD for $30 for yours. I paid that for the one for my OK Joe from Lowes, I bet it would fit yours too

I know you meant the Lang, I had to clarify my post, sorry. I might try that, my pit is sort of long, over 8 feet.

I see they do custom jobs as well. I didn't see any prices though. I guess they have to quote by the job.

My Lang is stored outside wearing a thin coat of pam...Main door propped open on the latch for ventilation...at the ready! Sir...

P.S. We don't have much weather here...Sorry...

Just noticed you are in the IE...leave it where you are going to cook on it all year long, you don't need to cover or store it...That's the beauty of California...

Only problem is that OK Joe, CG & Horizon smokers (what's sold at Lowes & Basspro) all have the stack on the other end.

I was not suggesting you get a OK Joe cover for your Lang. It was for for the OP. although he never said what pit he had, just that it was a $200 one

too much confusion in this thread LOL

If you store it between 250 and 275 degrees with a brisket or butt inside, it will stay warm and dry on the outside...

I cover mine with a tarp that is supported with electrical conduit, kind of like a tent. It attaches to the chimney on one end, a vertical piece of the conduit on the other and both support a full length horizontal piece of conduit that has the ends bent down. Cover it with the tarp and tie the ends to the bottom of the smoker.

It lets air get under it, and is secure enough that I can tow it about a mile down the road to our trailer parking area.

mine just sits outside.. with the stacks closed... no rust or paint fading yet.. but around here the weather doesnt get all that bad.. so i don't think i need one.. i mean we get lots of storms and things like that.. but not a lot of snow.. have designed pit to keep water out..

Back