Pitmaker Vault or Ole Hickory CTO

The Chadwick

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Experienced smoker who has had Cookshack Amerique, Weber kettle, Masterbuilt electric and Napoleon smoker grill. I’m trying to make a good decision on my next smoker and have really been looking at the Pitmaker Vault and Ole Hickory CTO. I could really use your collective experience with these two units and the companies that make them.

Hi Everyone! Experienced smoker who has had Cookshack Amerique, Weber kettle, Masterbuilt electric and Napoleon smoker grill. I’m trying to make a good decision on my next smoker and have really been looking at the Pitmaker Vault and Ole Hickory CTO. I could really use your collective experience with these two units and the companies that make them.

Not sure as I have not cooked on either, but there is a Pitmaker Vault on CL in Sacramento right now. Just sayin... ;)

I own a Pitmaker Vault and love it. I use a CyberQ, and can hold exact temp for the entire cook without having to reload lump/wood.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them the best I can.

Another satisfied vault owner here. I use mine both with and without a cyberQ. I also use it with lump, small splits or a mixture of both. If you have any questions just ask.

Btw, if a used one is something you’d consider you might want to have a look at the general sales forum on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kevin & Jason, I appreciate your comments and would welcome any feedback on the Vault since you both have them. I apologize for the delay in responding to you, I definitely need to get on this more often than I have thus far. Thanks gents!

Just curious if you guys often run straight wood in these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vault owner. No temp controller. Don't really need it.

I have never run all wood. Usually big chunks and charcoal. I mess around with the door to get a clean burn and an happy with results.

Couldn't tell you about the CTO. Would love to cook on one and tell you, in case anyone nearby has one. Hint hint.

I was a very fortunate person in 2018 and was able to have a few bites of different meats off of Malcom Reeds OH CTO. I haven't forgotten what that tasted like. 2019 is the year to decide on an Ole Hickory or T&K Gravity for me! I really liked that Ole Hickory. I wish they would update their controller so that it was digital and could connect to the cloud. I get it though... their focus is more commercial.

Let us know what you decide!

We have a Ole Hickory Ace BP. Love it. The controls are older style technology. The reason is they work and if you ever need parts a lot can be sourced local. Don’t get me wrong digital read out would be a nice feature

I had the CTO and liked it, I even made a charcoal basket and burned charcoal when I did my cooking, they are easy to cook on

Back