Stale Lump?

tish

Quintessential Chatty Farker
One of the very kind Brethren who commented on my disastrous cook yesterday, suggested that the lump I was using could have been "stale". So, even though I had a Keg with lump in it, vents opened almost fully, and a tiny fire going inside, 20 minutes later, my fire would be out, and no pretty blue smoke. For those of you who might be familiar with "stale" lump, is this something that happens any time of year with leftover lump after a cook? Or is it something that occurs mostly in wet conditions? I was told that next time, I should mix the old lump with some new (which I did not do this time), and be sure to use at least a couple firestarters or a torch of some kind. I have yet to get a chimney. It's on the list. Even though it took forever with all the starts and stops, the fattie was delicious. Thinking it must be a new world's record for length of fattie cook, though! :roll:
pecanapplecrispfattie.jpg

Charcoal/lump is a natural collector of moisture... absorbs it.

Remember the shoe inserts "OdorEaters"? They take in moisture/sweat/and foot funk... filled with charcoal.
With a batch of old lump (unprotected) can take on moisture... unexpectedtly by its environment outdoors.

May have been compromised by the elements.

The will absorb the moisture out of the air. This gets to be a real problem if there is condensation around, like when dew collects on all of the surfaces around.

The more I think about it, the more I feel this was probably what I did wrong.

Back