Favorite team meals at comps

pmanzi

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Prepping for a contest this weekend and wanted to get some ideas for team meals during the event. Normally we end up doing something simple like sausage and peppers or do a rack of ribs to get in a last minute practice cook but figured the creative people on this board would have some good suggestions.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Always a team favorite BBQ Bologna, one chub rolled in honey dusted with black pepper crosshacted and smoked for three hrs. Slice and serve on a burgers roll easy dinner & breakfast the next day.

If there are vendors on site I buy food. If I can get the truck out then local restaurant. Anything I don't have to cook. Sled's idea of premade and reheat is second choice. I hate having to cook Friday night. If staying Saturday night delivery pizza. Ordering can sometimes be a challenge but worth it. Down her in fl we're lucky that Janet from big poppas country kitchen usually makes breakfast so all I need is coffee and a donut or 2. Lunch is an over rated meal especially Saturday.

Now I know lots of teams that will throw on a rib rost, beef tenderloin, ny strip roast Or pork loin with some tarts and bread. Need a big team or your feeding a bunch of friends. Rarely any beef left.

We usually have a pan of mixed sausages in a beer bath w/ onions in the cooker at all times. We just let it go all day and night and add beer when needed.

We do alot of sausages or steaks too (chips and dip). We also nibble on what didn't make it into the Anything Butt box...this past weekend it was bacon wrapped scallops. They didn't finish well, but they sure were good to us!

Papa Johns Meats Pizza and cheese sticks. Great for breakfast too.

We've cooked burgers, boiled up some dogs with skyline chili and mounds of cheese and adobo chicken Friday evenings. We're also big fans of whatever the local pizza or sub joint is. This weekend I walked three miles uphill both ways to the Red Pepperoni in Madison for pizza.

Best one was we brought a wok a qt of oil and fried up homemade eggrolls. Very EZ

Tacos, I pre-cook the meat and heat it in a covered half pan on the smoker. Homemade salsa, buy the lettuce, shells, cheese, etc.

Chili dogs, pre-cook chili, heat it in a pot, throw the dogs in. You can have a hot dog, chili dog or a bowl of chili or all three.

Souper Supper is one of my favorite potlucks. Everybody brings a crockpot full of soup (some bring breads, crackers, cheeses, etc.) and you get to taste different soups, exchange recipes, etc.

Burger Bar. Hamburgers and have numerous toppings: bacon (you can pre-cook at home and heat up in the smoker), lettuce, tomato, onion, sauteed mushrooms, various cheeses.

I typically like to go out to a local restaurant that is preferably Thai Friday night.

The best two team meals that I've had a comps were both salads. Both were oil and vinegar based. One was cucumber and the other was tortellini.

On Mondays I often regret not enjoying the BBQ meats, but when I'm there and it's hot and you've been cooking and prepping all day, something without meat is usually what I reach for.

Eric

Thanks for the great suggestions, now to narrow down the list.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Something quick and easy. This past weekend we did sausage on rolls, raw brocoli salad, and potato salad. The less prepping and clean up the better.

Agreed, we never plan on the food needed to eat...we just roll with it. The comp is on the brain and the planning of meals has never happened yet.

Back