Baby Back rib pron

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First time in a long time I've done baby back ribs. I figured i better practice a little before my first comp which for some reason they are requiring baby backs. so i fired up the WSM (side note i had a small backdraft when i poured the water into the pan. there was a little grease in it from my last cook and it ignited i singed off an eyebrow and most of my hair on the front) it held steady at 225-230 most of the after noon and well into the night after i was done cooking. used hickory chunks. rubbed em down with Dr BBq's Big time bbq rub( i think thats what it was called) it was the sweeter version of it. really good stuff. any way here are a few pics. They turned out great, this was the first time ive rolled and skewered ribs so i didnt know what to expect. i still think i like to foil with a little honey and brown sugar or at least some apple juice, for the extra flavor. no sauce on em either. what do yall think about em?

Explosion aftermath
100_1772.jpg

ribs rubbed down
100_1774.jpg

on the WSM
100_1775.jpg

Flipped over at 3 hour mark.
100_1776.jpg

Done on the cuttin board bout 5 hours later
100_1777.jpg

another shot
100_1778.jpg

sliced and piled.
100_1779.jpg

another shot
100_1780.jpg

Nice lookin BBs there. I like the woodpile stack method...would be a new twist on a turn in box if you have REAL hungry judges....may have to search hard for a big enough turn in box though.

Good looking grub. I like that method of curling them up. Does that make a difference as opposed to smoking them flat on grill, or is it just a space saver? Have you used that method for St. Louis style spares? Do you think it would work?

Nice pron of the singed hair also.... BBQing can be very risky!! USe hard hat and safety goggles next time!!

Singed hair is a good excuse to get a flat top. The ribs look real good. I read about doing them that way in PK's book, my old smoker I had to stand them on end and lean them against each other so that there was room for brisket too! UDS solved that problem.

They look great, how did they taste? What was tenderness like?

Well U still have some hair on your face thats good. Nice looking grub I havent tried that rolling thing yet.

Didn't your Mom tell you about playing with fire?!?!?!

Grub looks good, but I must admit that the first picture turned me off of my lunch....

They were good. nice and tender. the bark was a little dry for my taste, i didnt foil or spray at all. i just let em ride. They bit clean off the bone. but werent falling off at all. nice tug on em. I think as far as rolling em for saving space. ill go back to the rib rack on the wsm or spritz em. At least with the rib rack i can foil and add some brownsugar and honey or apple juice.

I like your rolled & skewered technique. Very efficient.

Good looking grub. I like that method of curling them up. Does that make a difference as opposed to smoking them flat on grill, or is it just a space saver? Have you used that method for St. Louis style spares? Do you think it would work?

As far as I know curling them is just for the space. Please correct me anyone if I am wrong.

Those are good looking BB's. I wouldn't mind having them placed in front of me.:p

I love the smell of burnt hair in the morning...

Nice looking ribs.

Yea curling them up is just a space saver. I hate cleaning a rib rack after cooking ribs in them. they never wanna come clean so this was alot easier. THats the first backdraft ive ever had in the WSM. It was a nice warm feeling across my face as the flames engulfed my head lol.. i was looking directly over the water pan when i poured in the water and it ignited lol..

FatDaddy, just trying to help here but there really is a better way of getting your hair cut. LOL. Chit happens. Did the same thing for the first time with curling the ribs last weekend, it worked just fine. Can get twice the ribs in the same space. Unrolled them and they laid flat and looked great. Have to be careful with the edges burning but not a big deal. Food looks great. Like the stacked ribs presentation.

Back