Waring Pro Slicer

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I got a Waring Pro meat slicer for Christmas, and I was hoping to get some opinions or reviews from anyone that might have one of these or has used one. I was planning to buy one, so I'm thinking about taking this one back and putting another 1-2 hundred(total of $2-300) into a nicer one if neccessary. Basically I will use it to cut pastrami, steaks, turkey, and any deli sausage I might make. My main concern is that it works and can slice thinly and secondarily, how easy is it to clean. I realize that cleaning something like this isn't going to be really simple, but I don't want to spend 2 hours cleaning everytime I use it. If you reccommend I take it back, any recommendations on good ones in the above mentioned price range. As always thanks for any help.

I have one, and it slices thin enough to keep me from plunking down the cash on a better one, but I do wish it could slice thinner. It's not a problem for me though, it's thin enough to work, in my opinion. You will not get deli-shaved thin out of that slicer, no way. As for cleaning, I think it's pretty easy cleanup. Just unscrew the blade, wash that, wipe everything else down and sanitize.

I have one and it works pretty well. If you slice something that bogs it down or is difficult to slice repeadedly, eventually the plastic gears will strip and you'll have to get the part from Waring. No big deal, less than $2 or free if it is still under warranty. I'm happy enough with it that I wouldn't plunk down the extra $$ for an expensive one. Clean up is not difficult and doesn't take long. It is a decent home slicer.

I've had one for years and found it works fine. Now I should say that I've never been into the 'Shaved Ham' but for general slicing mine works great. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I had to slice up 25 pounds of cooked brisket and it handled it just fine.

I do like to clean it more than 'just wiping it down' so on that note, it's kind of a pain and that determines if I'm going to use it or just a knife.

Investing in something a little more sturdy, and the additional 1-200 dollars would do that, may not be a bad idea.

Cabela's has some slicers that are larger, will slice thinner, and have a blade that is easier to sharpen. The latter is important. We have a small slicer that I use for summer sausage and cheese, because it's convenient. After a couple of years the blade is becoming dull, and that impacts the convenience factor. Cleaning can be a pain, but not much more difficult than what you will face with the current slicer. Storage is the biggest issue that comes along with a larger slicer. Do you have room for it?

I got one of these as well. How difficult is it to sharpen the blade?

I have one, use it all the time for everything from meat to cheese to bread. I like the size, portability and it fits snugly on the shelf in the pantry.

Last edited:
I got one of these as well. How difficult is it to sharpen the blade?

I can hone it with a steel, and I've taken various small slicer blades to folks to sharpen. At the end of the day, a larger slicer with a sharpening attachment is easier to deal with and can pay for itself in terms of time and money.

I've got both, and use both of them for different purposes.

I have a similar slicer and I like it very much. It's fairly easy to clean and I use it for lots more than slicing meat, too.

It's great if you're making a lot of sauerkraut or even slaw. I can buy a whole boneless ham and have the whole thing sliced to our liking and sealed in no time.

Everything I'm hearing here echos the reviews I've read elsewhere except that it probably isn't as hard to clean as some of the reviews I've read say. It sounds like it will work for most everything except deli thin slices. Unfortunatly this is one of the things I want to do with it. I guess my next question is will anything under $300 do this? If not, I might just keep what I have and buy another one later in life when I can justify spending more on it or keep hoping I find one on craigslist. Thanks to all for the answers.

I have the WPS200PC model. Purchased from COTSCO about 3 years ago. We use it mainly to slice Eye-Of-Round for beef jerky.

When I slice the meat, it is almost frozen state. It puts a burden on the machine, but works well. I found that I need to wipe the blade and other parts with oil (cooking) to keep it from binding up.

Relatively easy to clean-up, not too heavy and easy to store. It hasn't made me look for a replacement yet. :thumb:

wallace

I had one, and gave it away. I think it is the biggest piece of crap ever sold, and I refuse to ever buy anything branded "Waring Pro" again. I also refuse to buy anything from a website that only had positive reviews for this POS. Please read the Amazon reviews, one of which is mine, before you decide to keep it, but the short version is that the motor is pathetic and really loud, the blade is scallopped, the carriage is too small, and the whole thing is impossible to clean safely. I never found a suitable replacement in that price range, but if you wanna cut bread, buy a $20 bread knife. Cheese, use the bread knife or buy a $20 cheese knife. If you wanna slice meat with this thing, good luck. Buy a slicer knife, a mandolin, or save your pennies.

dmp

(In case you couldn't tell, I have really strong feelings about this product, and the company for continuing to market it.)

If you are in an area that has a decent CL, do a search for slicers. See what you can buy for a commercial slicer. Look for other brands beside Hobart, like Berkel and Globe. Also look for older smaller models, these would serve what you are looking for in a slicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a restaurant supply store (not like restaurant depot) in your area? A lot of times those places sell used equipment.

On the slicers I think you really get what you pay for. I think you answered the question of what are you going to use it for. Not sure how you plan to use it for steaks. I have a $50 or so cooks slicer and I hate the cheap plastic thing that you use to push the meat into the slicer. I wish it was fixed with a threaded rod of some type. It does great on deli meat but you got to keep it even when cutting. On some items they recommend you refrigerate to firm up the item for slicing.

I do like the bigger Hobert type slicers. They seem to be firm when slicing and don't move around.

Buster, do you not like Restaurant Depot? Ours locally have some used and/or refurbished equipment. Just asking bro.

Buster, do you not like Restaurant Depot? Ours locally have some used and/or refurbished equipment. Just asking bro.
I've only been to the one in KC and didn't see anywhere they had used equipment so I just assumed they didn't sell used. I love Restaurant Depot. Here in Des Moines we have 3 places that sell restaurant equipment new and used and was trying to point him in a similar direction.

Not sure how you plan to use it for steaks.

Buster, I like to cook extra steaks, and shave some for sandwiches the next day. I didn't really explain this in the original post.

Thanks to all for the advice. I found out last night that my mother actually found this slicer for $79, and had a $20 rebate, so for $59 I think I'm just going to keep it, and keep my eyes open on CL and at restaurant supply stores to find a good used one.

Buster, I like to cook extra steaks, and shave some for sandwiches the next day. I didn't really explain this in the original post.

Thanks to all for the advice. I found out last night that my mother actually found this slicer for $79, and had a $20 rebate, so for $59 I think I'm just going to keep it, and keep my eyes open on CL and at restaurant supply stores to find a good used one.

If a grocery store near you ever goes out of business check to see if they will be selling off the equipment they may have in a deli. When Albertson's was closing locations around here the Hobart slicers were going for next to nothing.

I bought one this past summer for $40 from teh local department store (JCPenny's), and all I can say is that it is worth the $40 I spent on it, but not much more. It is loud, does not slice very thin, the thickness gauge doesn't hold its setting when you put any amount of pressure on it, doesn't hold very much meat, and cuts very slow. It is however fairly easy to clean, and for large cutting tasks it will come in handy. In short: If I had to buy one again, I would have spent more for something more sturdy, and better build quality.

If you are in an area that has a decent CL, do a search for slicers. See what you can buy for a commercial slicer. Look for other brands beside Hobart, like Berkel and Globe. Also look for older smaller models, these would serve what you are looking for in a slicer.

Just a comment on this, be careful with commercial slicers. I had one, and they are great, but they can be very, very big and heavy! I ended up selling mine because its heft resulted in me never using it. It's too big to store in a kitchen cabinet, and too heavy to bring in and out of one even if it would fit, so you end up having to store it on your counter top 100% of the time, or spend more money on a cart and keep it in the garage, taking space away from your cars or lawnmower, etc. Follow brother Pyle's advice of trying to find a smaller one. Again, I loved my Hobart slicer, but it was more trouble than it was worth:(

dmp

Back