wood fungus???

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Use it or loss it when it looks something like this?
FuligoSeptica.jpg

Seriously, I have a few pieces that are not near this bad as this picture but they have some white fugus looking material on them. Is this something to be concerned about or is it something that's OK? (Hey, mushrooms are fungus and I like them.) Will the fugus give off a toxin or bad taste when burned or does it burn clean?

loose it!!! FAST!!!

if the wood has fungus..

is spongy,

rotten bark, or it just feels to light.........

chuck it.. not worth ruining your food. I just dumped all my wood to the curb yesterday. Gonna get a fresh batch of oak, cherry, mulbery and keep lesser amounts around so it dont go bad.. theres a few hundred bucks of apple, pear, peach and 3 different cherrys all wasted out there. Just went and took these for ya.

Attachments

• P6251661.JPG
    P6251661.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 88
  • P6251660.JPG
    P6251660.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 88
  • P6251659.JPG
    P6251659.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 90
Forgot to add the PS, I agree with Poobah, if it's even light I don;t use it and instead burn it in a open pit or something when I'm bored. Scott

Poopy,
That's why they call it a woodshed. You need one.:razz:

Alot of the wood in the pile above looked ok, but when i split it, the heartwood was light, both in color and in feel. No grain, looked llike balsa. had apple and hickory that was like that. the cheery had very soft bark, that when peeled of, showed some rotting in the wood.

Woods cheap enuf not to risk qwrecking the food.. even if i have to do with kingsfordd and a bag of chunks form HD, i wont use questionable wood as fuel.

Fortunately, it was only on one big chunk for me - one that was in the garage. I don't remember if it came in the garage that way or not. I'll be paying attention from here on out. The worst of it looked pretty much like the big chunk in Grand PooBah top 2 photos. A bit on the bark and on the end. But being cherry, I hated to kill a good soldier if it was only an infraction worth a little PT duty.

Checked the stack out back and everything looks good

Back