New addition ... BSKD

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
WAHOO, I got one of my christmas presents early I now have a BSKD.

Is there anyone that can give me pointers on this new smoker?

I hope to put it togeather tomorrow, I have been saving my bacon grease for rub all over my smokers, now I can greas up the new one.

Congrats on the BSKD, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine! All you need to do is fabricat a baffle and charcoal basked, and season to be ready to cook. Alas, you will have to change your Name and Signature, but thats all part of the fun:twisted: ! Here are a couple of pics of my set up, and if you have any questions, just PM me.

Noah

P.S. You can view the fire basket pics on Q-Talk, under fire basket thread.

Attachments

• baffle_1.jpg
    baffle_1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 185
  • banderabaffle_214.gif
    banderabaffle_214.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Congrats, Rob! I also have a BSKD and while I've done all sorts of meat on it, I'll tell you, for me, it's one hell of a rib cookin' piece of equipment!!!

Like Noah said, you'll definitely want a baffle and why they EVER put such a piece of junk fire grate in there, I'll never know (OK I do... to save money!) but you'll absolutely want to junk the current one. It can't get any decent air flow under the fire! I made an expanded steel fire grate for mine that is on legs made out of about 4 or 5 inch carriage bolts! When I went out to Colorado to help my brother get going with his, the fire had a difficult time staying above 200* when enough ash fell through to choke it out from below!

Fire grate.. ya gotta make a firegrate!!!! Look in bandera 101 for a copy of my plans. Was expanded steel supported by and 1 inch by 3/8 inch steel flats

Half the fun of owning one of these things is making the mods!!

Thank for some of the info for the mods, not sure when when I will get all the mods done, hope they can be added later, I will do some quick fixes first like the fire great. Hope most of these mods are cheap, hope you guys can help me when I get stuck, I know how good you guys are for giving advice.

u can make a quick and dirty baffle out of HD aluminimum foil. Just get that heat out and under the waterpan, otherwise it runs straight up the inside wall of the smoke box. Your temps will run low & uneven and you'll use alot of fuel. Anything is better than nothing.

Congratulations!

The baffle and fire grate should only take an hour or so - not counting the trip to Lowe's or HD! This is especially true if you install the baffle when you put the beast together.

You can pick up an extra piece of expanded metal and make a very simply charcoal basket in 10 or 15 minutes. A bit more elegant one (like Noah has made) takes only a bit longer.

Last edited:
C'griller, Cograts Brother!! Some sound advice above, follow it and you'll have a great cooker.

Sorry for being such a numbnutz guys but what is a BSKD? It is some sort of smoker I assume? Maybe a Bandera?

------Clueless in Long Island

Sawdustguy said:
Sorry for being such a numbnutz guys but what is a BSKD? It is some sort of smoker I assume? Maybe a Bandera?

------Clueless in Long Island
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe. I call it a left handed bandera.

The baffel mod looks easy, but I am not very good at mod'ing stuff. Noah I like the design of yours I will hope to try this but I am so clue less looking at your diagram I think I have an idea what to do, but not for sure, I will do the card stock templet first. When I go to the hardware store I have no clue what metal to use.

Anyone know what type of bolts that are used to put the BSKD togeather? I would like to find more, I could use them to make my fire grate taller for now till I can make/buy a charcoal basket.

I was thinking for my quick fix baffel like Phil said and use HD foil, I was going to put some over the water pan holder, over where the firebox is located and mabe try to design a quick scoop to direct the heat more under like Phil sugested.

Going to print the 101 and try my luck with some of the mods mentioned.

I used the HD foil baffle mod temporarily until kcquer helped me with me permanent one. Worked pretty decent. All that matters is having SOMETHING there to deflect smoke and heat out under the waterpan and not let it go straight up the side of the smoke box and out the chimney.

Make sure you use the shiny side of the foil to deflect the heat :-D

Ron_L said:
Make sure you use the shiny side of the foil to deflect the heat :-D

Here we go again......

chargriller said:
When I go to the hardware store I have no clue what metal to use.

I made a baffle using the template out of a cookie sheet from WalMart. I used tin snips to cut it out, which can be bought at WalMart if needed. Called a metal supply/fabrication shop, and got to look through their scrap pile, and found some heavy guage expanded steel. Had them cut it to size to slide in the bottom rails of the firebox. Both Mods were about $10 total.

Ty

Hey guys I hope this works, this is the first time I have wrote in.
I have the same smoker and love it!!
As far as bending up the mod's try to find a sheetmetal shop and or a HVAC shop that does sheet metal. Print out the little blueprint from the other post and ask he to make in stainless steel. Try a smaller shop tell the guy that your not in that big of hurry and that you will pay cash. The guy I used make me the baffle, a box out expanded metal and a stainless steel liner for my fire box for $50.

And to all of you who do post on this web site THANKS for all the help you have gave me while I was start to smoke!

Love,
Killer Dave
"Dave's a killer - Dave's a mess" Slap shot 1979

Killer Dave go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself, we don't bite.

Back