Smoker sizes

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
I have traded for a 20" dia pipe. It a little over 5 1/2' long.

The question is does anyone have such a pit that diameter that works really well? I don't really have place to build it but I wanna throw something together to cook on. I have enough scrap metal laying around to put it together. I have a uds but it isn't big enough.

Thanks in advance.

And make it so I'll wanna buy it once you have a shop and build ShaNayNay II. :wink:

You know - pull out racks (atleast 3 but better with 4/5), Hook Holds in top for hanging meat, able to use both charcoal basket or wood splits ( so a basket on slides and a fire grate on slide that are interchangeable), nice difusser plate, 3 angled out legs with casters. Slightly domed or high centered top so water won't pool. Center exhaust with rain cap and a CAMO paint job. :heh:

IMHO, a 20" diameter pipe will make a decent backyard smoker. I wouldn't make a trailer with anything less than a 24" pipe, preferably a 30" pipe.

Does the 20" pipe need to accommodate the smoke and fire chambers? Do a 20" long firebox and a 46" long cook chamber and it would make a helluva cooker, IMO.

I really like this one that I had built. It is 20 x 52. The firebox door needs to be bigger, the exhaust should be in the middle, the intake could be a lot simpler but it still works great. I had them put a rack right over the fire for grilling. It also has a place to hang stuff at the very top. I had it built without asking the Brethren for advice and that was a big mistake. I am lucky it turned out so well. I can get about 45-60 minutes per pound of charcoal depending on temp. It can hold 3 baby backs or 2 briskets per rack. The racks are 12" apart so there is plenty of room for more racks.

Last edited:
And make it so I'll wanna buy it once you have a shop and build ShaNayNay II. :wink:

You know - pull out racks (atleast 3 but better with 4/5), Hook Holds in top for hanging meat, able to use both charcoal basket or wood splits ( so a basket on slides and a fire grate on slide that are interchangeable), nice difusser plate, 3 angled out legs with casters. Slightly domed or high centered top so water won't pool. Center exhaust with rain cap and a CAMO paint job. :heh:

I guess I should have ready Smitty's post before I posted.:doh: The bigger firebox door would allow for a larger basket for splits. I don't care for the diffuser plate anymore but I did use a pizza stone for the first few cooks on the bottom rack. Casters would be great because this thing is heavy. The guy that built mine sells 2-3 of these per month. I don't know if that is a lot but he gets $760 for them.

It sounds like fun. Perhaps I could deliver it to smittyjons at the bash!!! But I might be working during that time. It all depends on Mother Nature. I have a plan in mind so I might start on it next couple days.

Man I got highjacked by spring break. I've been entertaining the kids. Mondays is a whole new deal!!!

Back