Fast pulled pork on wsm?

inv3ctiv3

is one Smokin' Farker
So i am dying to use my new wsm but work all day sunday and got a 7lb boston butt thawed but dont have 12 hours to cook it tomorrow :(. Any suggestions on temp or how long i should cook for?

You can cook a butt as high as you want. On a WSM it will still get smoke and won't take forever. I cook mine at 300-350* and they are usually done in around 6 hours. Don't let low and slow fool you. High heat is the way to go, even if you aren't in a hurry :boxing::boxing::becky:

I've been doing lots of butts lately, and most of the time, they are cooking in the 275-300 range, but I like to start off a little lower, maybe 225-250, then ramp up the heat in an attempt to get a deeper smoke ring setup. Then after 2 hours, I'll open up the vents, kick the side of the Gourmet to drop ashes, and she'll be up to 300+ in less than 10 minutes.

The butts that I've done like that have been up to 197 internal within 7 to 9 hours, depending on size, and the ring has been pretty good for an amateur like myself.

Picnic007.jpg

Picnic009.jpg

BTW, that's a the Superbowl Sunday Picnic Roast, it was a huge hit!

So i officially started my first ever cook on a WSM! 7lb butt on the top rack, 2 of 3 bottom vents closed, top vent fully open and it's holding a steady 225 with the minion starting method. I have kingsford original with hickory chunks in there now so how does this sound? Should i move to the lower rack? Seems to make more sense to have it on the top since that is where the thermometer is.....btw it got a nice rub down from simply marvelous's rub, can't wait to chow down! If you have any suggestions for the cook please post them!

Back