Beef rib advise neeed.

ac30

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I'm cooking up a couple of racks of St. Louies tomorrow for the Bills game and I also want to do a couple of racks of beef ribs too. (Not the short ribs, but the long babies from a prime rib). I'm a beef rib virgin...
Is there any reason they should cook any different from the spares? I usually go 3-2-1. Will that work for the "Brontasaurus" ribs too?
Thanks in advance as you guys always come thru with the best advise!

When I cook Dino Bones it is at 275 S&P and neked as a Jay bird until they pass the toothpic test

I treat it the way I treat a brisket.

1 part salt
1 part course ground pepper
1/4 part garlic

Throw them on the heat at 300 and let them go. If the bark starts getting to dark I'll wrap, if not I'll go nekkid.

I prod them with a bamboo skewer and check for the consistency of a done brisket. Then I pull them off the smoker. Let them vent off heat for 15-20mins, then put foil over them and into the oven (that is off) to rest for 45mins-1hour.

Last edited:
I usually do beef ribs LnS. 225 for almost 10 hours. I know it's a long time but they come out awesome. My wife (who's a Texas transplant) says there the best she's ever had, so I don't mess with the system.

No need to foil either the pork or beef spares, just cook at 275-300 till done its that easy. What type of pit are you using?

I have a horizontal offset. Father's day gift from the kids. I usually cook my spares between 250 and 275 (like you can stay constant on an offset), and foil with a little apple juice works well for me. I'll try the beef ribs without foil. I have 3 full racks so I thought I'd sauce one for the last hour. I'm looking forward to this.
Nice of you folks to help out.

Back