Seasoning

Hcs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you think the best oil for seasoning a new smoker is?

I'd say shortening or lard. If it works for cast iron it will work for your smoker. Though I'm not sure that there is a huge difference between any neutral oils.

+1 for peanut oil.

Peanut and then 3 lbs of bacon. (It's just a good excuse to smoke up some bacon).

It seems easier and cleaner for me to use shorting applied like I would car wax. The few times I used Pam or other spray cans I got too much or over spray in some areas. This made a little mess.
I do use Pam to touch up areas after a cleaning or on my grates.

I use flax seed oil on all my cast iron it gives it a hard durable nonstick coating with a good shine the key is to do several very thin coats not one thick coat it should work the same on ur smoker.. i have tried many diff things that work like lard, peanut oil, bacon grease, ect they all work fine just found that flaxseed oil is the hardest most durable and non stick of all of them..kinda pricey but worth it in the long run when u dont have to do it as often

pam seemed to work fine. then do a butt cook to really grease her up

I use flax seed oil on all my cast iron it gives it a hard durable nonstick coating with a good shine the key is to do several very thin coats not one thick coat it should work the same on ur smoker.. i have tried many diff things that work like lard, peanut oil, bacon grease, ect they all work fine just found that flaxseed oil is the hardest most durable and non stick of all of them..kinda pricey but worth it in the long run when u dont have to do it as often

I agree with this. There is a science behind it that has to do with omega-3s, ala's and burn point of free radicals in flaxseed oil.

Here is a great article explaining the chemistry of it all
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Crisco has a good Veg oil spray. If you wanna do it like a car wax. Snow Cap Lard!!

Back