Sunday dinner ala Yakiniku

Dauvis

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
One of the wife's favorite dishes is bulgogi. There is a Korean restaurant on the east side of Indy where we would order it. Due to various reasons, we do not get over there as often as we used to. After seeing aawa's bulgogi thread, I decided to give it a try this weekend.

It turned out that this week's throwdown category is Japanese. Since I was going to be in the neighborhood, I would make something for that. Since the rules are that something has to be grilled or smoked, I googled for Japanese grilled meat. That is when I seen it... yakiniku... birds started singing... cherubs started flying and blowing their horns. As I realized that couldn't concentrate with all of this noise, I picked up a stone and threw it. It hit a couple birds and I continued.

For my entry in the throwdown, I went with yakiniku beef with udon stir fry noodles.

My main ingredients
txmv.jpg

In practically all of the pictures I seen for yakinku, they used a grill where the cooking grate was just above the coals. Since I do not have one of those grills, I decided to improvise.
dpq7.jpg

I sliced up some of the flank steak and set it to marinade in some sukiyaki sauce. While that was happening, I prepped the cabbage, carrots, onion, and udon noodles. As the noodles were finishing up, I whipped up a dipping sauce using finely chopped onion, soy sauce, sugar, honey, sesame seeds, garlic, and lemon juice. [sorry for lack of pictures, I had to get my phone on the charger]

Everything was gathered up and taken outside. Started some charcoal in the chimney dumped it in the improvised grilled. After a few minutes... BAM!!!!... Some may know what just happened. For those who don't, the terra cotta cracked. :mmph: Fortunately, everything was still contained and I was able to continue.

However, I was having a wicked time getting the stir fry up to temperature so I had to take things up a notch.
f0dj.jpg

The stir fry noodles coming off the grill errr.... chimney?
sqmx.jpg

Dumped the charcoal in the chimney and started grilling the meat
q2n7.jpg

The final result
xlze.jpg

As my wife finished, her meat she asked if there was any more. As I said that there was a little left, she threatened the teenage (who's been known to be sneaky) and asked me if I want some of it. I went with my instinct and said that I'll have some more noodles. I'll interpret that as a success :becky:

Very nicely done, that sounds like a great plan.

Yes, flower pots do not make such great high heat cookers

My Tandoori attempt blew out a pot plant as well.
That's a great cook and looks rather edible.

Back