Sink (gray) water etiquette at comps

SmokinTheGoodStuff

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I have only competed in 5-6 comps and wonder what was acceptable at competitions as far as discharging your gray water? I don't have a holding tank but do have 100' of hose and have always drained mine off in the grass or a drain away from everybody. I see some teams letting theirs drain right out of their trailer which sometimes goes right into other peoples sites.

Around here the organizer will usually tell us what they was us to do with grey water (water the trees, dump it in the storm sewer, etc. Letting any water run into other sites ir poor etiquette to me.

It all depends on the contest. We did one last year that they warned every team that if they caught anyone draining the grey water onto the ground they would be fined and asked to leave immediately. Most of them we do we just let it drain away from the other teams.

I have only competed in 5-6 comps and wonder what was acceptable at competitions as far as discharging your gray water? I don't have a holding tank but do have 100' of hose and have always drained mine off in the grass or a drain away from everybody. I see some teams letting theirs drain right out of their trailer which sometimes goes right into other peoples sites.
Thanks for asking!!!

I have been at many comps on grass where the rig next to me just opened his valve and let it hit the ground were it ended up running into my site!!!

The fact that you are asking means you'll do the right thing!

The only time you'll see gray water tanks used in Georgia is at a contest held on asphalt or on some groomed surface like a ballfield. Mostly what you've seen is the norm - find a place to route your drainage where it won't be a problem for anyone.

I've found the key to not being flooded is to be proactive and *quick*. At the first sign of a trickle - jump up and run it down to see where it's coming from. Better to confront the unknowing dumper early than to suffer through standing in a mudhole all weekend.

In some states it's illegal to dump grey water tanks except in approved dumping stations. Inmost contests if on asphalt you can find drains and while it may be illegal if your putting it in pails it has to go somewhere. If you set up a sink with a drain I suggest buying a 15 or 20 gallon rolling waste water tank from an rv place. If necessary you can transport home and dump there. Remember if you soak somebody's site they may call the health dept and lodge a complaint. It could impact a lot of teams if they come out to investigate.

I lost a 30 amp cord from careless dumping of grey water at one contest not to mention soaking wet feet all weekend.

I just assumed that we were talking grey water from folks three-bin setup or similar. I would never think of dumping my trailer grey water tank at a comp! We stop at a dump station on the way home to dump the black water tank, so I just dump the grey water there.

I lost a 30 amp cord from careless dumping of grey water at one contest not to mention soaking wet feet all weekend.

That is the most dangerous caveat of dumping it at ones site. It wouldn't take much to electrocute someone with all the electrical cords strewn about. I can see some jackass letting his gray water go at his site and killing someone in the next site by electrocution. Lot's of people at comps with their heads up their ass and no consideration for their neighbor.

What I saw was coming out of a comp trailer, it was sink water, and it was on pavement. I don't think its illegal to dump sink water out, some teams don't have sinks and wash out right on the ground. If it goes into a storage tank andleaks out of a open valve, that might be illegal. I run mine off away from everybody and thought what I saw was uncalled for.

What I saw was coming out of a comp trailer, it was sink water, and it was on pavement. I don't think its illegal to dump sink water out, some teams don't have sinks and wash out right on the ground. If it goes into a storage tank andleaks out of a open valve, that might be illegal. I run mine off away from everybody and thought what I saw was uncalled for.

IMHO, it should never be done anywhere at the contest site. When you leave the contest stop somewhere along the way home and dump it in a storm drain.

Back