Flank Steak and Beets

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Yes, another Four Ingredient Blog challenge post at my blog, and this time it was flank steak, beets, kumquats and gnocchi...Here are some raw materials.

Kumquats and Beet Greens
PC180441.jpg

Beet Roots and Potatoes
PC180436.jpg

Flank Steak
PC190443.jpg

And the end products...

Warm Roasted Beet Salad with Arugula, Shaved Shallots, Feta Cheese and Kumquat Preserve, with a Chervil and Tarragon Vinaigrette.
PC190446.jpg

Flank Steak with a Kumquat Preserve, Feta cheese and Shaved Shallots with a Chervil and Tarragon Vinaigrette along with Pan Seared Gnocchi with Beet Greens and Garlic.
PC190451.jpg

The beets and potatoes were roasted in the kettle rolling along at 375F until slightly soft to the touch. The flank steak was grilled over a very hot fire to medium rare. The kumquats were cooked down in a mix of water, sugar, bourbon and bbq rub until it reached a gel stage.

What do you call that cooking style? Double reverse fusion?.?.

I like your style. Personally I am on a quest to diffuse every ingredient to it's origin, so your perspective helps keep me fresh.

There are leftovers, let's see, two beets, a few shreds of herbs and half a flank steak. apparently in the past, I have been buying half a flank steak. The Harris Ranch flank steak I got this time was twice as big as what I normally get.

Phu, it might be indeed, the Four Ingredient Challenge is making me really think and work for the dish, I can't just slack off with a hunk of pork.

Dang, my Thanks button is gone. Thanks Hawg Daddy and Guerry.

It was interesting Hawg Father, it is total fusion, I call it American Melting Pot Fusion :thumb:

Oh lovely flank steak,
Dressed with beets and salad. Please,
Gnocchi me tonight!

Wow, I thought I was on Iron Chef America reading this. Great cook and photos.

Nice! Beautiful pics! I didn't know gnocchi was from Japan!?? Just kidding, I love Italian food, care to do a tutorial on how to do Gnocchi?

Well, I could, but, I did not take pictures so it would be all descriptive. If that is okay, I can write one up.

2 medium russet potatoes
1 cup AP flour
1 large egg
1 pinch salt
1 pinch nutmeg

1. I poke the potato with a fork in several locations. Then rub potato with canola or olive oil. Put onto a kettle until fork tender.

2. I cool potato and cool until potato is comfortable to handle. Peel the potato. Feed through ricer, or push through a medium-coarse grater. The key is to get a fluffy texture with a lot of entrained air.

3. Sprinkle potatoes with flour mixture (you did combine the salt, nutmeg and flour right?), toss to coat. Dump onto counter top or pasta board. Make a well in center and put whipped egg into middle. You did whip the egg until frothy and yolk and white are combined.

4. Using fork, in a circular motion, combine the egg into the potato/flour mixture. You want to use a circular motion and keep it quick and light. Gather dough once it starts to come together. Knead lightly once or twice. Wrap in plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes.

5. Divide into 3 portions. Roll each portion separately into a 1/2" diameter rope and cut into 1/2" portions. I like to roll them briefly into balls, although it is important not to squish them.

6. Take each ball and roll it across the back of a fork, a gnocchi board or a flat whisk to make grooves. The grooves are actually not necessary, but, they do hold sauce better. To cook, set a large pot of water to simmering, using a wire mesh spider or strainer, lower gnocchi into simmering water and cook until they float. A couple of minutes at most. Then place into an cold water bath, repeat until all are done. It takes me 4 to 5 batches.

7. While this seems complicated, the overall process once the taters are cooked is pretty fast, allowing for the rest, no more than 15 minutes of mixing and rolling. They real key to light gnocchi is minimizing handling.

Back