I know this contest was a fundraiser, but...

To competitors? Delivered? Put 'em on a golf cart driven by Hooter's waitresses; $2 plus tip.

you can expect to pay $3.00 for a 10# bag up here easy. so $7 for a 20 wouldn't be gouging really.

I'll just bet that next year a whole bunch of folks stop for ice before getting to the contest. $7 does seem high.

A fiver would be easier and more reasonable IMHO.

I paid $2 a bag for the smaller ones this weekend. Seven or ten pounds, I forget which. On the high side of retail, but I didn't have to drive to get it. I did have to walk though. They gave each team one bag free though. About what I expect if it's not free. $7 seems a bit pricey, even if I was buying 7lb bags. I think I paid $4-$5 for 20 lb bags at one competition last year.

dmp

Unless they were forcing you to buy ice from them, it's hardly gouging.
As a team, we always fill up out coolers prior to leaving for a competition and in 4 years, we have never run out of ice.

As an organizer, we realize that it's worth our time and money to try to provide cheap or free ice if we can.

Having said that, I just bought a 20lb bag for home use this weekend. It was 3.99 at a local grocery store. Assuming the organizers weren't able to get "a deal" they may have had to spend the same or more. Keeping ice frozen all weekend isn't free either. They may have had to rent some sort of refrigeration for the weekend, then they had to pick it up and deliver it to your site. I'd be willing to bet that they couldn't return any unused ice at the end of the weekend. So, considering their possible costs and likely losses, $7 bucks isn't outrageous. If they are indeed a fundraiser, they can't afford to lose money or the contest may not continue.

I guess the bottom line is... If you are concerned about the price of ice, fill up a 6 day cooler and bring your own.

If they are indeed a fundraiser, they can't afford to lose money or the contest may not continue.

What does being a fundraiser have to do with anything? I don't think any competition can lose money and continue, and whatever the charity, I don't think they would say "You hoped to raise $3,000 and you only brought in $2,000. Don't do it again next year." I don't compete in BBQ to donate to charity, and I don't think an organizer's use of funds should play a role in my costs. That's my humble opinion.

Valid points on the economics of ice, but when JD did his survey of what teams like, reasonable ice was in the top five I believe. If you really want to get down to economics, maybe consider it a loss leader that brings in and keeps the teams, just like extra porta-johns and breakfast. Lots of economical ice and fewer teams isn't very helpful. I was at a comp last year where the ice was expensive and the ice guy left before 10PM leaving teams high and dry. I'm not going back this year, and that plays a part. I forgot about that when I made my post earlier.

dmp

From my experience a charitable organization is under more pressure to make money than say a group of folks who form a committee for the purpose of holding a BBQ contest. The latter group can get by basically breaking even. The former can't. Most charitable organizations are run by a board of directors of some sort. If they see the number of hours spent trying to run a contest being "spent", they need to see a return on the investment. Else, no contest.

Again..having said all that.. as an organizing committee, our contest has found a way to provide free/cheap ice this year. Not knowing the other event's financial situation, I can't speak to what they can or can't afford to do.

Most contests are for charity, it doesn't mean they have to bend teams over on the ice....or anything else, for that matter.

Not anywhere's near gouging.

If I go into a local 7-11 it costs me $1.99 for a 5 lb bag of ice. So 20 lbs would cost me $7.96. It's called convenience.

On the other hand, if I go into Restaurant Depot it only costs me $4.79 for 40 lbs.

Pricing anywhere in between seems like it would be in or near the realm of reasonable.

stopped on the way to a contest this weekend for ice.

2 7# bags of ice and $20 in gas and the guy wanted $26. So yeah $7 might be steep, but it aint that bad...I usually only need 1 or 2 bags to top everything off on saturday afternoon for the ride home anyway. Not having ice is a much bigger deal than paying a little extra for it.

Back