Pork Butts on a Pellet Pooper

pburney

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I love to cook pork butts the low and slow method:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: (on traeger) and doing 3 this friday.:grin::grin::grin: would like suggestions on how to keep the butts from sticking to the grates real bad.:doh::doh: When i see the butts on this web site i never see any stuck always perfectly cooked:clap::clap: any ideas guys. I do them at smoke for 2hrs then up to 225 for 12hrs till IT is 200 great pulled pork and bark it just sticks bad. maybe i just want a perfect world:roll::roll::roll:

after the grates are hot, just before you put the meat on, rub the grates with shortening, or spray them with Pam, etc

I don't cook butts on a Traeger but I use a big, heavy-duty spatula and work it under the butts as I lift them off my cookers. Works pretty good. Cheers!!!

I think they are going to stick a little no matter what you do. Just get under them when you pick them up and you should be fine.

I use to have a Traeger and I dont ever recall having any issues with the butts sticking nor have I ever had that problem with my FEC. I do the mustard slater prior to rub and not sure if that has any affect on it

I do butts on my Traeger often and have never had an issue with sticking, but I cook at a much higher temp, 275-300, maybe that has something to do with it. In any case, I'd suggest oiling the grates down when hot. I like to use an old rag which has been rolled up and tied, dip that into some oil and rub on the grates using a pair of tongs. Gives great coverage without risking the flare ups that can occur when spraying aerosolized oil onto a fire.

I'll take pics this weekend but what I did last time on my traeger that worked well was:

2 Hours at the SMOKE setting with the butts sitting on the grate. I then transfer them into a tin pan, turn the temp up to 250-275 and cook for another 2 hours, then I cover with foil and cook til 185 on the probes, remove the foil, and pull them at around 190-195. Cover and rest.

Maybe i should try the warming pan idea sounds like that might work the best
have a bunch of al disposal pans around here. Any other ideas:blah::blah: from the BBQ Brethren on here.

Back