Nephews 1st BBQ Comp in Apopka FL this Weekend (On Going, Come and "Learn")

What a wonderful experience for them. The positive influence, pride, accomplishment, team work etc. will all have huge benefits in life down the road. You should be very proud.

That's a top place finish in my book.

About to head back. The parents (wife's brother and sister in law) had gotten me the badass le crust from an outlet a few months back. Can't wait to give that a whirl.

More of a full synopsis later.
53c2df76cd8e85bb385e6be396032eeb.jpg

Congrats to the twins and props to the uncle. The boxes all looked good except, as you said, pork. I had my fingers crossed that with your expert guidance that they would win the overall, but for those of us who compete, we understand the random subjectiveness associated with judging.
As a kid growing up, I had a couple of uncles that I liked and admired, but with the exception of one trying to teach my brother and I how to play chess and another that took us deer hunting once, nothing like this. I'm glad that you are being "that" uncle, because they are entering a phase in their life where they may not like any adults but you for a few years.

Robert

Last edited:
I see you were helping the nephews on plating but how much do you think you were involved overall?

Congrats on the finish! That brisket box looked killer. 40 back yard teams!!? That's nuts. I did hear an interview with a popular FBA team saying that a good number of those BY teams should really be competing at the professional level. I think I saw a total of 71 teams so more than half were BY. Wowza. Good work!!

That is nothing short of awesome. No doubt it was a great learning experience for the boys and hopefully everything will sink in and they will realize just how well they did. My goal is to always finish in the top half of all entries and they certainly accomplished that. Kudos to you and your family for supporting them.

I have 2 of those pots They are awesome You are already training tiny'ish He will be a good pit master like his Dad

Glad you made it home safely.

Truly great weekend from this side of the screen!

Many thanks for taking us along on your adventures. Congratulations to you and the family for some excellent results!

Was out of town and missed the play by play. Congrats on a successful and fun weekend! Those boys got a great start!

Congrats to the boys and awesome mentoring Jason, they will likely remember this for quite some time.

So the overall 14th finish included that 9th Brisket and then the other 3 categories were all 16th :shock:. Never had more than 2 categories finish in the same place :-D.

Random thoughts
-After having talked to a lot of the teams there and knowing some of the pro ones I knew the FBA backyard was pretty stiff competition. This "backyard" event definitely not as "backyard" as KCBS ones I've seen. A lot of "well traveled" teams. So their finish makes me even happier :mrgreen:

-While the twins had my help that help was 95% just making sure they followed the timelines and reminding them to "check the meat" when not trying to kill each other as brothers do. During turn ins I helped move some of the meat around, but they fully boxed all 4 meats other than me helping put meat in for pork when the time got tight and I could tell they needed a little more help. They used rubs and injections I brought.

-The hour between turn ins was nice, but the instruction during the turn in windows caused us to definitely have to move when we were walking the boxes. I almost didn't factor that in and had to adjust after chicken :becky:. We were about as far out as you could be from the turn in tables and was close to 3mins. Was fun to see the anxious nerves of them walking their first box in and making sure they weren't late.

My meat rating as we turned them in
-Chicken: Skin didn't have perfect bite through on all the pieces that we sampled. But the best looking ones went into the box and flavor was good. Didn't blow my mind, but was fine
-Ribs: I didn't lead on how freaking good I thought these were as we turned them in, but both myself and the wife thought they tasted perfect. Tenderness was a little over, but over is better than under. We did get a comment that they were a little overdone.
-Pork: Flavor here like ribs was great. Bark on the MM flaked and was a little over in general, but the chunks were spot on for me. I knew it wasn't pretty and they did too :becky:
-Brisket: About as happy as I could have been for a prime. I don't know if the BY teams cook waygu in FBA, but their prime was great. Had to check it 3 times before it was done, but slices and burnt ends were both worthy of going in. Was a good teaching lesson that it wasn't done the first time we check it so they could feel "firm" and then finally "probing smoothly"

The overall weekend was great. We had other siblings (my wife's), cousins, in-laws and grandparents come out. The most fun I've had at a contest possibly ever. It would be interesting to see how they would fully do on their own after having a walk through with help. Glad they could get started off well.

Back