Guitarbeque 2007 Grilling

arlieque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Teams, I have been offer more money for the purse for grilling categories at the Guitarbeque BBQ Championship this year along with a site for more teams. The teams will all be in the grass one block from last years site. What I need to know is on the grilling side of things what categories would you like to see. Yep the two bars will still be close. This also will become a three day event if we add grilling! You can reply here or email me with your ideas at arlieque@comcast.net.

Thanks, Arlie

Arlie - is the new site one block further away from the ocean or are we heading up the boardwalk towards the old Ho-Jos?

We're planning on making it this year and would be up for almost anything in the grilling category, though personally I'd love to try beans. What will the three days consist of?

Hey Arlie, Sounds good. Would you consider having the grilling NEBS sanctioned? We have a bunch of grilling contests and it will draw teams in pursuit of NEBS team of the year.

I like simple categories that even the playing field like:

Wings, Pork Chop, Sausage... Guess you gotta have a seafood category down there...

Chris

Chris, Yes it can be sanctioned by NEBS, that would be great! I want a full field of cookers, we are making room for 42 teams at this time. Do you do the grilling first before the 4 main categories or last. If we do it last I dont want to lose teams that will not do the grilling. If that is going to happen we need to do it on Saturday evening and KCBS part on Sunday. Please advise me as to how to do the NEBS sanctioning and any cost there might be. Have someone contact me.

The site is the grass one block further away from the street we have been on. We will move the judging tent there also. trying to work out 4 rows of 12 teams in each row back to back.

Thanks, Arlie

Arlie,

If you could do grilling on Saturday and KCBS on Sunday, Primal Meat Smoker's would be interested in attending. We have only one comp. behind us, the Hudson Valley Rib Fest. Grilling was on Saturday and sanctioned by the NEBS with standard turn in times 12:00, 12:30 etc. 24/42 of the teams participated in the grilling. We found the grilling event very enjoyable and really helped our timing for the KCBS event.

We enjoyed the grilling categories that also prevail at the New Hampshire Championship: fish steak of any type: freshwater or saltwater, pork chop, sausage and beef steak of any type. It was a relaxed comp and alot of fun. The New England Championship in VT. (grilling) also offered "Chefs Choice" and was the day after the KCBS(Saturday). The number of participating teams was comparable and a really nice event (I judged the grilling on Sunday).

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

From what I can see more contests are a Friday/Saturday event. I like that format because if we travel, our trip home is Saturday night, with a Happy Sunday to recover. Arlie, it doesn't matter to us Polocks when you have it because either way we will be there.

I am on SmokeInDaEyes team and I consdier myself a pretty good cook, but,
We're planning on making it this year and would be up for almost anything in the grilling category, though personally I'd love to try beans.
How are you possibly going to grill beans? I think they will just fall through the grate and even if they don't you would need a really small spatula to turn them.

That's funny!:biggrin: Obviously you have to put em on skewers.

Seriously, I'm up for steak, chops, whatever.

arlieque said:
Teams, I have been offer more money for the purse for grilling categories at the Guitarbeque BBQ Championship this year along with a site for more teams. The teams will all be in the grass one block from last years site. What I need to know is on the grilling side of things what categories would you like to see. Yep the two bars will still be close. This also will become a three day event if we add grilling! You can reply here or email me with your ideas at arlieque@comcast.net.

Thanks, Arlie

Three days, two days, with or without grilling, Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ is all for whatever decisions are made. Great event last year and it sounds like you are making it even better. What are the dates??

Can't wait for 2007 season.

I suggest sausage (made on-site), whole chicken, seafood and chilli.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ said:
Three days, two days, with or without grilling, Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ is all for whatever decisions are made. Great event last year and it sounds like you are making it even better. What are the dates??

I beleive the weekend of July 6-8.

How about.......Chile, Beef, Sausage(made on site), Seafood, Desert(made on site), Pork(Chops/Tenderloins), Whole Chicken.

Arlie, You might want to look into The Mid-Atlantic BBQ Assoc.( MABA) to sanction the grilling.
There contact information is: Contact: Tom Christine 215-603-2508 or smokendude@comcast.net. Tom would be more than happy to help you.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ said:

I agree, should be a lot of fun :)

My nephew is going to be 16 years old and goes to every contest we go to. He loves to cook. Only one of the five contests we went to last year had Kids Q and he jumped at the chance to compete in it. He wound up winning the beef catagory. We will be going to more contest this year but there is only one with Kids Q. What we have decided, is to let him do the grilling events for us at each contest. He is very excited about it and we feel he will get a better taste of competition cooking. If he wins any money, it goes into his college account.

Can someone confirm the 2007 dates. I got screwed last year on my vacation requests at work and I wanna nail this date down. Thx

Back