Scored Some 'Core

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
That would be Albacore. Bustin' my ass doing landscaping Sunday and a local bar buddy of mine stops by with a small cooler stuffed with 20#'s fresh albacore wondering if I would smoke it for him. Absolutely! I brined it yesterday for 8 hours and did them all on the 'dera last night. Great stuff. He came by last night, took about 15# home and left the other 5 for me.

RE: Scored Some

Sounds good, TK.

tommykendall said:
That would be Albacore. Bustin' my ass doing landscaping Sunday and a local bar buddy of mine stops by with a small cooler stuffed with 20#'s fresh albacore wondering if I would smoke it for him. Absolutely! I brined it yesterday for 8 hours and did them all on the 'dera last night. Great stuff. He came by last night, took about 15# home and left the other 5 for me.

Damn, wish my friends knew how to fish.

RE: Re: Scored Some

fishing's the easy part... I can't figure out the catching!

I'm still waiting for that first steelhead

Re: RE: Re: Scored Some

david said:
fishing's the easy part... I can't figure out the catching!

I'm still waiting for that first steelhead

Actually, that is what I meant. I`ve been waiting for my one friend to catch a striped bass now for two years!

Hmmm, steelhead is a very good fish to smoke too. My father has been hot and cold smoking salmon and steelhead for many years now. What is nice about the steelhead is it is very similar to salmon but more oilier. Keeping it moist when hot smoking.

RE: Re: Scored Some

what did you use to brine the fish?

RE: Re: RE: Re: Scored Some

what did you use to brine the fish?

Water, kosher salt, apple juice, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, bay leaves, sweet/hot chili sauce, and a tad of molasses.

What is nice about the steelhead is it is very similar to salmon but more oilier.

That's news to me. Every salmon I've ever smoked contains much more oil content than any steelhead I've ever retained after landing - and I've landed a boat load of 'em.

What is nice about the steelhead is it is very similar to salmon but more oilier.

That's news to me. Every salmon I've ever smoked contains much more oil content than any steelhead I've ever retained after landing - and I've landed a boat load of 'em.

I agree salmon has much more oil.

Salmon have a lot of oil in them. I actually prefer the taste of steelhead (hot smoked, like at 300 with an alder fire). A lot of people cut off the belly (which has a whole lot of oil) when they are filleting their chinooks and cold smoke those to keep for themselves and never share :)

TK- come on up and we'll do some fishing... maybe meet on the Rogue River or something. Never been there, but I hear the steelheading is good. Just gotta get the funds together to buy my spey-rod.

Might be a different type of steelhead? The one`s your landing, is it pink like salmon? We`re buying farm raised steelhead from Canada (I think) at the market. Without question, oilier than salmon. Tastier as well.

Steelhead is steelhead, although it's really just a big, ocean-going rainbow trout. Pink sounds about right, but it shouldn't be oily. They may be trying to pass off some cheap farm-raised salmon (maybe a pink salmon?). Salmon can be anywhere from pink to orange.

Could be. But size and thickness of a steelhead. And, taste`s better than salmon for a cheap salmon.

You farkers hijacked my thread. :roll:

I ate some smoked albacore tonight - killer...

Hijacked... we got talking about steelhead. Way better than your thread was ever gonna be :p

Maybe you're right. Rogue River sounds like a possibility this winter. I'm heading to Upstate NY on 10/30/05 for a week of steelheading

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Scored Some

tommykendall said:
Maybe you're right. Rogue River sounds like a possibility this winter. I'm heading to Upstate NY on 10/30/05 for a week of steelheading

Upstate NY in Oct? I hope your not bringing treble hooks and shoulder pads as part of your tackle? I been up there once for that spectacle a bunch of years back. Or is the salmon run over by the end of Oct? I know some drift down the rivers 'fishing' for steelhead`s, even though it`s cob webs out there in Oct. Sounds like your going up after the caos?

Quite a scene man.................

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Scored Some

Don't know about NY, but here theres a run somewhere all year long. Winter you get ice forming on the rod, standing in icy water, and no catching any fish... Summer is sunburn, standing in icy glacial runoff, and no catching any fish. They say it takes a 1000 casts to get a steelhead, so I've been trout fishing

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Scored Some

But TK the thread is about fish so it's still on topic :mrgreen:

Back