new to this website

elk grove griller

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just jioned , this lookd great. I have a Weber charcoal and a gas grill. I want to get into smoking ribs, fis etc. What's a good smoker to start with for home use. I can fabricate , so I can biuld my own if necessary

Welcome. You'll find a wealth of knowledge and fun here! :) A UDS is a good start - cheap, too. It really depends on how much you want to cook at a time, what heat source (wood, charcoal, electric, gas), how much space you have, do you want to transport it easily...so many variables. Let us know what you decide!

Welcome!

You can easily start out with a charcoal grill, if it's big enough to hold whatever it is you want to smoke. I use a 22" Weber kettle, 'cause I'm too cheap to buy a separate smoker! Lots of use smoke on charcoal grills.

Welcome to the greatest show on earth and I say UDS also.

Welcome! You're in the right place. I will not disagree about the UDS, but I would like to know what Weber charcoal grill you have? As the fellow above said, you can smoke on a kettle.

Thanks!!!!!

You folks are great, good advice and looking forward to cahttin' in the future.
What does UDS stand for??? My Bad

Hi everyone, just jioned , this lookd great. I have a Weber charcoal and a gas grill. I want to get into smoking ribs, fis etc. What's a good smoker to start with for home use. I can fabricate , so I can biuld my own if necessary

Welcome!

If your like me and live where you can't have a drum sitting around your Weber kettle will provide you lots of great smoked food and hours of learning until you just have to unload some money or make a drum. Welcome and good luck........

UDS. best post on how to build on can be found under the title "If a redneck wanted to build a UDS" by Norco. but I do recomend reading the UDS thread, all 5000 pages.. its worth it.

Welcome Aboard The following is the thread to building a UDS
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
It is about 380 pages and it will give you lots of tips and designs, but basically a Ugly Drum Smoker is made from a barrel. There are vents at the bottom and on the lid with a charcoal basket and a cooking grill inside. Since you can fabricate it should be real easy. There are lots of folks here to help and answer your questions. Let us know how you're doin'. Most of all "have fun". :-D

Welcome Aboard The following is the thread to building a UDS
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
It is about 380 (or maybe 5000) :-D pages and it will give you lots of tips and designs, but basically a Ugly Drum Smoker is made from a barrel. There are vents at the bottom and on the lid with a charcoal basket and a cooking grill inside. Since you can fabricate it should be real easy. There are lots of folks here to help and answer your questions. Let us know how you're doin'. Most of all "have fun". :-D

Oooooops I hit the wrong button and posted twice Sorry :doh:

Well howdy neighbor. I use my trusty old Weber kettle Lucille for smoking/bbqing/grilling. But to be quite honest I've been wanting to build an UDS myself.

Welcome from Northern California
If you need a 55 gallon drum I have several from the local cannery. You would have to come to Oroville to pick it up.

Back