When repairs get out of control...

P

PorkButtBob

One of the reasons I joined this group was in search of insight on how to repair a Komodo BBQ. I found that info, plus a wealth of other thoughts on subjects, recipes, and upcoming cookout events. Thanks everybody for sharing.

Now, what started as a simple clean up on a Komodo I found in a thrift shop turned into this BBQ. Posted are before and after. I still have a little work to do but it's close enough to completion.

The crack was channeled a bit and filled with JB Weld, then feeling it could use a bit more secure strength, I tiled over it and the surrounding area with some midnight blue 1X1's. The temp gauge, a Tel-Tru 50*-500* was off Fleabay for $9. I wanted to order one from Freds but got talked out of it because they didn't think I could put a hole on the lid... 30 seconds with a Roto-Zip and I had a clean hole ready for thermometer. The stand was some parts I found in a surplus yard and had welded together then painted. I still have to channel the logs so they sit lower and cover the legs on the base to finish off the fire theme of the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1883.jpg
    IMG_1883.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1884.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 176
Dude!!!! that's beautiful!!!!!

Great job updating the grill!

Thanks. It's seen one pork shoulder go across it prior to the total rebuild and it made absolutely the best pulled pork I'd ever eaten... mind you, that was using a rub recipe I found here!

Great job :thumb: JB Weld and duct tape can fix anything but a broken heart.

I recently added a BGE to my arsenal and have not tried at butts on it, only a few small steak and chicken cooks. I'm looking forward to tasting a long cook to see the results. Nice job on the update, that really made it like new!

Looks like a Wonderful Restore!!! Better than New!!!!

Back