Dark Fluid Oozing out of Sparerib Bones

R

richm

I bought some frozen st louis pre-cut spareribs from the local grocery store who had them on sale for the summer holiday (I asked for fully-frozen packages in the back). I am about 90 minutes into the cook and they are oozing dark liquid from one end of the bones, which is something I haven't seen before with fresh spareribs (see photo).

This is an experiment, trying a couple of different rubs on two halves today. Any idea what this is? I am guessing that this is marrow (but I do not know), and maybe it because they froze them after they cut them to st louis style? Someone else guessed that this might be a sign that they were frozen and thawed and refrozen. Should I just chuck them?

Attachments

• IMG_2118[1].jpg
    IMG_2118[1].jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 260
That only happens on pigs raised near those huge power lines or nuclear plants.
We had some once, we ate the meat and piled the bones on a platter to give to woofer, but we forgot.
Next morning, the meat had grown back on the bones!
We are still cooking that rack to this very day!

:whistle:

That only happens on pigs raised near those huge power lines or nuclear plants.
We had some once, we ate the meat and piled the bones on a platter to give to woofer, but we forgot.
Next morning, the meat had grown back on the bones!
We are still cooking that rack to this very day!

:whistle:

Are you glowing in the dark yet?:bounce:

It's marrow. I had two racks like this over the weekend. Falling off the bone tender.....keep them

Thanks, the marrow stopped leaking, and they have been in for 3.5 hours now. I just put them in foil, and they are looking/smelling mighty good.

I went to Costco while cooking and looked at their pre-cooked st louis spareribs (without sauce), and a third of the packages had dark areas like this near the cut part of the bone, although I would hope that those are not frozen before being cooked, but maybe they are. Nevertheless, I picked some up to try, but at $6.99 per pound, that is four times as much as I paid for these. I am heading out to the lake for fourth of july, and the boat has a grill on it, so I thought I would try them.

Back