Taking a class this fall. Pellet Envy / Swamp Boys or other?

jpayers

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I want to take a class this winter. I'm currently looking at Pellet Envy (5 hour drive) or Swamp Boys (14 hour drive). I currently cook on a Backwoods clone of that makes a difference.

Which of the two should I start with? Any others I should definitely be considering? I pretty much cook only KCBS.

Thanks

I have taken 4 classes. I took Rods and it's a great class. Highly recommend it. But after taking these classes, I will say that I will never take a class where they don't use the TYPE of cooker I cook with. I cook on a Jambo. Now the instructor doesn't have to cook on a Jambo, but they do need to use an offset stick burner. You are not going to a recipe class. You are going to learn everything you need and if I cook on a Jambo and the instructor is a Pellet Head, I don't feel like you are learning everything you need. If I'm not mistaken, Rub cooks on a vertical smoker as well.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd suggest using the search feature. There has been countess threads on classes.

Rod, Rub, and Tuffy are the top 3 classes I want to take. So I would absolutely throw Tuffy into that list.
Can't ever stop learning. I hope to take Rod's and Tuffy's classes in the future. Would love to have you and jpayers join us in FL sometime.

Last edited:
I have taken Rod's, but not Rub's (not because I don't want to, but it's harder to take a class when you help teach another...it's a timing thing), and Rod's class was great. We were cooking on a stick burner at the time, and I felt I could use the information.

I will agree with the above to find a class where they're cooking on the same or similar smoker OR if there are multiple teams cooking where you will get multiple methods. When we switched to our Southern Q Limo, I took the class from the manufacturer knowing I would be able to ask Moyers and The Pit Crew GA every question under the sun to understand how to translate the methods onto a Limo.

Back