Father's day brisket on the UDS

tinman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I finally decided to give brisket a go on the UDS. I trimmed up this 19 pounder and coated it with salt and pepper. I will let it ride low until it gets the color I want, and then wrap in butcher paper an crank up the heat a bit until it probes tender.....that's the plan at least.

More pron to come...
Tin

Good thing you knocked off the horns & bobbed the tail on that one or it would have been a snug fit.

I am probing it, but it is hard to say if it is time to pull it. I have always gone by temp, and I am trying to go by feel on this one. The point is probing tender, but the thickets part of the flat feels a bit resistant still. It is hard to tell with the butcher paper grabbing the probe though. I haven't done the butcher paper thing either...so a lot of new stuff going on here. Looks like the the thickest part of the flat is at about 190ish right now too. Not sure what to do.
I am thinking of making some burnt ends with the point; when do you guys usually separate it and make the ends?

I pulled it when I thought the thickest part of the flat was feeling butter soft, and put it in the cooler for an hour. It was juicy, perfect pull-apart tender, and really great smoke flavor. I used peach wood on this one, and am definitely loving the character it gives. When I separated the flat from the point, it almost fell apart. I chopped up the point and put it back in for some burnt ends.
I am more than satisfied with the UDS's ability to turn out some spectacular brisket.

Thanks for lookin!
Tinman

Only problem with a packer that big is it is hard to convince the wife I need to Q something else today, with a fridge full of leftovers.

That looks great tinman well done!! To keep from getting a false probe reading after you wrap it take a knife and stab through paper in the area where your gonna probe it.

Back