Bad day at a competition

parrothead

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Not because it was run bad, but because of the weather. My buddy Bill and I went up to the cooks meeting as it started to sprinkle. From inside we could hear that the rain was getting heavier. We got our stuff and went to where we could see the competition area from the barn only we couldn't see the competition area. I called Bob on his cell to see if he was alright. He was in the truck and said that everything was gone. What? yep, there are no canopies standing anywhere. I'm in the truck.

The rain and wind paused for a second or two and I could see what he was talking about. Total devestation except for two or three canopies that I could see. Then it hit again and just as hard with hail. When it slowed back down, the remaining canopies that had been standing were down as well.

All of the ez-ups were flattened or gone. The hercules canopies were just gonepicked up whole and thrown past the trees that were there. No sign of them. A couple of smashed wind shields, and a report of a cutting board lodged in the door of a camper.

The team behind us said they were bugging out. We set about picking up and gauging what needed to be done. about 15 minutes into this it started getting dark and we decided that we were going to bail as well as there was forecast for more of the same throughout the next day. Our charcoal and wood was dry so I found some teams that had sopping wet charcoal and wood and distributed it to them.

In all I think 5 of the 25 left. I wish them all the best of luck.

Tom the contest organizer felt horrible and did what he could. He apoligized a lot, even though we all knew it wasn't his fault. He had done a good job on everything so far that we had seen and we will return next year if they do it again.

Wish I would have gotten a few more pictures, especially of the port a pottie mess and the newly formed river running through camp.

Attachments

• sucks.JPG
    sucks.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 218
  • sucks2.JPG
    sucks2.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 216
  • sucks3.JPG
    sucks3.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 216
Greg,

Your words from the other thread were prophetic.

"Get ready for rain guys! Did you get the e-mail from the organizer?

Getting ready to pull out of here soon.

Glad no one was hurt!!

What a shame.

TIM

Man, that's rough!

We've had a bit of "weather" a couple of events but haven't lost anything or had to bail out!!

This is just one of the things you can "plan" for but just have to go into survival mode when it happens.

That sucks Greg...my apologies...

All those canopies got mangled... Looks like you'll need to do some new contest equipment shopping...

Greg, so..............damned glad you and Bob are safe. Coulda been a whole lot worse. Like the others said ya cant control Mother Nature.

Mike

Last edited:
Ouch! Son of a beeeeeyotch!!!! That's insane! Never seen anything like that before. I'm speechless. Glad no one was hurt in all that! Everything OK at home, Greg?

What a bummer! Thanks for posting though, as it gives some of us competitor wannabes things to prepare for. What a mess.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Ouch! Son of a beeeeeyotch!!!! That's insane! Never seen anything like that before. I'm speechless. Glad no one was hurt in all that! Everything OK at home, Greg?

Not a drop back home.

I'm glad I'm not competing this weekend... lots of guys around here are dealing with cold and wind and lots of rain earlier this morning. Got a call from Mokan Wayne around 8am this morning and could hear lots of rain pelting his hercules in the background.

Thanks for the post. I guess the lesson is that we should all "be prepared". I'm always amazed at contests that people don't even bother to stake their tents down, or use the bucket method.

BTW: EZ-UPS are way over rated for the money. I have one that looks like yours (the worst part is that the company won't even respond to my warranty e-mails). It lost it's life in a rain storm while "airing out" in my back yard. My $50 tent has lived through several storms and it's still standing.

That's ome scary stuff, Greg. Thank good ness no one was hurt but the flying tents, etc. There's some major storms happening today according to the CNN homepage. Hope everyone stays safe.

butts said:
BTW: EZ-UPS are way over rated for the money. I have one that looks like yours (the worst part is that the company won't even respond to my warranty e-mails).

When my two new 12'x12' EZ-ups were destroyed by straight-line winds this past 4th of July, EZ-Up told me to return them to the Academy Sporting Goods store where I bought them for a FULL REFUND OR EXCHANGE, no questions asked.

I was in and out with two new ones in the box in 15 minutes. The Manager at Academy said, "If it happens again, just bring 'em back and we'll do it again."

Some things in my life go m-u-c-h smoother than others!

Ken

Glad you are okay Greg! You can always buy another canopy but you can't buy another you. I am sure glad nobody got hurt.

Glad you are OK. My second competition was at sedalia in 2003. We braved nickle dime and quarter size hail. Rain was running 4 inched deep through my camp. we were constantly dumping the water off the ez up. Several ez ups collapsed from the weight of water. then along came a micro burst with 85 mile an hr winds and wiped out everyone and everything. My ez up was wasted. My neighbors was wasted His smoker was on its side and his pork butts were floating in the 4 inches of water running through the site. I kept trying to tell myself that I was having FUN Many left for home and quit and I cant blame them. We didnt. We were winners whether our name was called or not. I got my first call there and finished in 10th place overall. Ive been hooked since. I still have that huge trophy that stands a whole 4 inches high that says 10th overall.

Glad everyone is ok, that's something I don't think you can prepare for.
Weather in MOFO land was bad too, but we missed it all (Lucky), torpeders started just to our east yesterday glad we didn't get that but could have used the rain.

Lee (SloppyQ)

Glad you're ok.....could have been a lot worse!!

Glad everyone's OK, but I don't see a problem. The site looks like the average poohbah cooking area. :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Back