DO tell!

I think a better point to this would be to say that CI requires some periodic maintenance and porcelain does not. I don't get any off tastes from my CI because I use it regularly and keep it seasoned. If you don't, you will get off/rusty tastes. Porcelain requires no maintenance, but its limited in durability when compared to CI. Both have their strong and weak points, but the housing bacteria point is moot because it gets cooked off anyway. Besides we prolly eat more bacteria just from kitchen surfaces alone than you'd find in a CI pan.
My original intend was to point out the science between the two for the OP.It would be irresponsible to not point out the differences.I have many CI pans and pots and they serve their intended purpose.I dont cut raw proteins on wood either.But I guess that`s another topic for another thread.Science is a wonderful thing Brethern...embrace it.

I use mine outside also. It was red. It now starting to look black all around.

My Kirkland signature coated CI is made in France, looks and works as well as the more expensive French brands.

I used bare CI for years but since trying quality enamel the bare just stays on the shelf.

I have a bare metal 8 qt CI Dutch Oven handed down from my great-great grandmother and several raw metal CI spiders (with feet) of various sizes I use for camping. I would love to have an enamel coated one someday but either way your CI DO is great for many dishes. I use the DO for any and all of the following:

Indoors:
- Red Beans & Rice/White Beans/Pintos
- Hoppin' John
- Black Eyed Peas
- Gumbo (or anything that requires a roux)
- Soups, Stews, and Stocks
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Braising (tough cuts of beef/flank steak/country ribs)
- Deep Frying Fish & Chicken
- Roasting Tender Meats (Whole Chicken/Pork Loin/Beef Roast)

Outdoors (camping or on my grills/smokers):
- All of the Above
- Baking Biscuits/Rolls
- Baking Sweet Rolls
- Dump Cake
- Cobbler

Really the sky is the limit. Your CI DO is very versatile and will last several lifetimes if you take care of it.

Regards,

John

To me, the value is that you can move from the direct heat to indirect in one vessel. For example, here is yesterdays dinner. Onions, garlic and such were browned in it over direct heat, then the whole thing went into the over. It was the only pot used.
lambstew_zpsa489abaf.jpg

Back