Injecting a Pork Butt with Bacon Grease

Mattlsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok so I was thinking how much I love bacon and pulled pork. So I thought what would happen if I injected my butt with bacon grease? Do any of your think it would work or would the grease have issues and taste gross? Thoughts?

Never done it myself, I would think if it was filtered it might be ok. I dont think it would benefit from miusture but maybe a different flavor.Hopefully somebody will chime in who has done it.

couldn't you do it with butter? I know it's not the save flavor profile, but it's greasy'/juicy nonetheless. I agree with Garrett, filter the grease

Butter would taste good. My goal is to try and add another flavor profile of delicious bacon to the meat without having actual bacon in it.

jar-honey-bacon-bbq.jpg

???????????????????

I like the thinking outside the box, but in my opinion, injecting grease into a pork butt sounds kinda gross. Plus you have plenty of fat in there already. What makes a pork butt juicy is the breakdown of collagen into gelatin. That bacon grease isn't going to break down any further. If you want a bacon flavor profile, perhaps add "Bacon Salt" to your rub instead of kosher or seasoned salt. It is commercially available in your supermarket, or here: http://www.baconsalt.com/

Last edited:
I say just give it a try. I don't think it would ruin it. If do it please let us know your process good or bad.

Puke........:sick: Ill stick with Apple Juice with rub mixed in........

always worth a shot, shoulders are cheap enough to experiment with. I don't see it being bad, but you'll definitely want something catching the drippings, going to be massive amounts of grease.

You could pour a little bacon grease into a bit of pulled pork, mix it in, and see what you think before you try it on a whole butt.

You could pour a little bacon grease into a bit of pulled pork, mix it in, and see what you think before you try it on a whole butt.

this i've gotta disagree with. Injecting pre cook and letting the grease weep out is way different than adding straight bacon grease to a finished product.

I've brushed bacon drippings on ribs before smoking with good luck. Added a nice flavor. I've not tried injecting though.
Good luck if you try it and let us know how it goes please.

Just do it and let us know.

Eat a butt for its natural flavor. No need to enhance. The market will do that.

I baste rotisserie chicken with a mixture of bacon grease and Scott's BBQ sauce (hot pepper vinegar - eastern NC style). Oughta work well on a pork butt.

I have done it and that was our pork turnin for a KCBS contest. We did not do so well. Bottom 10 in pork. The taste was nothing to write home about. It did not and any extra favor or taste. It was kind flat. Make sure you filter all the bits out of it. It may have been better if we would have used it in the glaze/sauce.

I tried it once too and did not notice much if any flavor/juiciness difference from the one cooked side by side with no injection. Give it a go though, experimentation is definitely the reason this hobby is fun.

Back