First butt on uds

Gethenet

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I went and picked up a 8.75 lb butt from local grocery store. I did a apple juice/captain Morgan injection, and basic pork rub. Filled coal basket up with about 3/4 bag of lump. Was figuring on a 13.5 / 14 hr smoke. Had a little trouble getting drum to hold temp for the first 2 hrs ( was a tad breezy) however temp was always between 250-280. I prefer to smoke at 225-245. Once it did settle in....it held temp for whole smoke. Which is what I was shocked about...it took close to 18 hrs to get to 198..... Which I then pulled and wrapped in foil and stuck in cooler. I have never had one take that long.
It turned out GREAT ( probably my best yet) ....holds true every butt is different, but in the end their all NICE!:-D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 110
Like mentioned, looks good. For me when I do the butts at 225 degrees it takes 17 hrs vs 14hrs at 250 degrees on average. I use a drip pan under the butts. Both on my Acorn and my UDS. As far as the windy days, I ended up getting rid of my taller stand pipes due to that problem you experienced. Makes a big difference in ease of getting and holding temps for me.

Good looking Porkage there. I love my Drum for holding temps. for long smokes.

I have never had one take that long, but it is what it is.......

And what it is is all good! Looking good, brother!

Looks great but check your therms. Butts take me less than an hour per lb...always

I did one yesterday in 8 hours. But I ran at 325.

18HRS???:shock: I'll stick with H&F. Me thinks you need to check your thermos calibration. That big pan of porky goodness is a nice reward for your patience.

Not all butts are the same. Some butts need extra coaxing before they soften up:biggrin1:

That with a little coleslaw and some sauce sounds awfully good for breakfast.

Back