Graduation Picnics...Loss?

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Hey guys!

I am doing Pulled pork for my daughter's graduation party. Going with SM Cherry and SM Apple for the two picnics I have. The picnics weigh 10.42 & 11.61 lbs. I'm not sure about weight loss form skin and shrinkage, so I need some help. How many people would these two feed? I don't have a set number yet for the party, and I think I need another. The wife would rather spend the $ in other places, so I need to see how many these will feed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

there's a catering spreadsheet you can use to figure out how many lbs of uncooked meat is need for a set number of guests.

The amount consumed, and sometimes the amount finding it's way to the trash, depends on who's doing the serving. If you serve it figure 1/4 lb. If they're serving themselves figure 1/3 lb. The number of sides will have an effect too. Sounds like a fun time!! Cheers!!!

Picnics have lots of skin and bones, which all ends up in the loss column weight wise.

If I were doing the culling of fat, bones, and skin, I'd end up with about 45%-50% yield per lb, so 22 lbs of picnic roast would be roughly 10-11 lbs of finished product. When I'm doing the prep work, all questionable pieces get culled.

Any chance of doing Butts instead of picnics??

Much greater yield.

Just a thought.

TIM

Any chance of doing Butts instead of picnics??

Much greater yield.

Just a thought.

TIM

I agree. If you are buying some more, get a butt

With butts I'd say 22lbs cold will make hot food for 44 folks. With a picnic, I'd probably say the number is closer to 30 folks (then again, i haven't cooked a picnic in ages)

Picnics were already bought and frozen. How many days should I give to be able to inject and rub on Thursday?

Picnics were already bought and frozen. How many days should I give to be able to inject and rub on Thursday?
I'm smoking 2 butts on Friday & 4 racks of ribs on Saturday. They went into the fridge @34F on Monday to thaw. Cheers!!!

Hey guys. How many sandwiches is 1/4 or 1/3 pound?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really depends on who's doing the serving. 1/4 lb. to 1/3 lb. could be between 1-3 sandwiches. I've seen dudes pile ~1/2 lb. on one bun when serving themselves. I'd go with the smaller buns and figure ~1.5 buns to 1/4 lb. meat. If there are buns left over they go in the freezer for our personal consumption at a later date. Buns are cheap... Cheers!!!

Back