spice grinder/mill

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
So I'm looking to experiment making a cherry rub. Cherry powder is pretty $$. Do any of you know of a good spice mill/grinder that you would recommend for making dried cherries into powder?? Thanks.

So I'm looking to experiment making a cherry rub. Cherry powder is pretty $$. Do any of you know of a good spice mill/grinder that you would recommend for making dried cherries into powder?? Thanks.
I use a cheap coffee bean grinder from Wal-mart too finely grind spices.

I think your method is what is going to be more important. Dried cherries are still usually full of moisture. You probably will end up with a paste instead of powder. I would run them through a food processor(or chop finely) and spread them out on a baking sheet. Let them dry out more, either on the counter or in a low oven, then put them in a spice grinder. Just an idea:grin:

I would use something that has a removable bowl that you can wash it. I have the Kitchen Aid, and think it is so-so. I've heard good things about both the Cuisinart and the Mr Coffee brands. I agree with SCSmoke in that it will be hard to get a powder from a dried cherry. I think pressing a fresh cherry through a sieve and dehidrating it first might yeild better results. You could also play with a food processor or blender, then maybe boild down, and then maybe pass through a sieve again? Just some thoughts.

dmp

Back