I'd never seen butts so big.....

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Found a 2 pack at RD yesterday in St. Louis. 24.99 pounds! Money Muscles are HUGE! I'll let you know Saturday about 5pm how they do.....

wow! the largest pack i ever found was just under 18 lbs and i thought that was a monter! got any pics of before the cook?

I took a pic of the package yesterday, but couldnt get the label in focus. Sorry, but it's trimmed now, so no pictures anymore....

I went to RD up in Chicago when we were at Scotties class and all of the double packs were 20+#'s I couldnt believe it.

Ken

@ Ken - I've been buying all my contest butts at RD this year. They've been great!

I had one this year that was 25.67 lbs almost would'nt fit in the fridge.

Wow! I've cooked some 11 pounders, and they were humongous, those are some BIG BUTTS!

They're great for home, but just can't seem to get the flavor out of the really huge shoulders that you can out of the medium sized shoulders (7.5-9.0). Maybe its just me

I've cooked twice this year and have had a little success. I've used 25# and 23# packages. Was tempted with the 27# ones, but they were older and I didn't want to push freshness. Restaurant Depot always have big butts around my parts...

I get my butts at a local market. They get the IBP cyro'd 2 packs...probably the same as an RD. The meat guy there will open up several of these packs so I can hand select the ones I want. I have picked up some 11.5lb and 12+lb butts that have cooked up rather nice for me.

I pay more for this service as this is a small shop and their prices are a bit higher, but I like the service and I end up selling my extra cooked product to co-works which ends up earning me back the cost of the meat. I usually foodsaver 1.5lb portions and sell for $10 a bag. The folks at work are delighted and almost fight over who will get the chance to pay to buy it.

283533864v4_150x150_Front.jpg

Back