Temperature Controller for Freezer or Refrigerator for Sausage Curing or Brewing

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Several years ago I made a digital controller to use on my freezer and refrigerator to keep the temperatures consistent during brining, curing, and in sausage making. This works by cutting power to the refrigerator / freezer to prevent the refrigerator from getting too cold in sausage curing, and turns power back on as the temperatures begins to rise.

I spent about $100.00 on the high current teledyne relays and the digital probe and signal relay. While it works very well, there was nothing available off the shelf for this purpose.

I recently came across this freezer / refrigerator controller made by Johnson Controls (basically an analog line level thermostat with a remote bi-metal probe). Temp Controller

I thought those who are new to the sausage curing craft or brewing might have an interest in a simple device for that purpose at a reasonable price. Don't know if anyone has a need for this device or not, but thought I'd share it.

I have used that controller for my keezer for several years. Mine maintains the temp within a degree or two without issue. My keezer lives in the garage, and in the summer my garage can get over 100f, while my beer stays a nice cool 43F.

You can also get a digital version, and there are a couple of other companies that make them as well.

I have used that controller for my keezer for several years. Mine maintains the temp within a degree or two without issue. My keezer lives in the garage, and in the summer my garage can get over 100f, while my beer stays a nice cool 43F.

You can also get a digital version, and there are a couple of other companies that make them as well.

I did see a digital version [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Digital-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00368D6JA/ref=pd_sim_lg_5"]Here[/ame] and it is just a little more.

Last edited:
Very cool. How do you handle the humidity if curing dry sausages? Do you have pics of your overall setup?

I have just got into sausage making. I have not tried making any dry sausage yet. I have an extra fridge I can use to hang the meat. I thought as long as the temp stayed within 36 - 40 degrees you were good

Very cool. How do you handle the humidity if curing dry sausages? Do you have pics of your overall setup?

For humidity I have just been putting a half pan in the bottom with 1/2 of water and checking a cheap humidity gauge [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Temperature-Humidity-Meter-Remote/dp/B0078JGX7A"]available here [/ame] It's not the best but it keeps me close. Not too much water in the pan allows me to pull the pan or add more water as needed.

.. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Temperature-Humidity-Meter-Remote/dp/B0078JGX7A"]Humidity Controller[/ame]

Everybody laughed when I bought it, but I bought one of the cheap controllers from ebay for like $20 shipped. It only reads celsius, but is a dual control and has a hot and a cold side to it. I found a tutorial on youtube that is great and actually have it set up to where it heats or cools depending on the temperature.

Has worked great for when I am cold crashing and lagering my homebrews.

Figured it was worth it for the cheap price. Have had it for over a year and it has worked great so far.

Back