Let the Bagna Begin...

Wine & Swine said:
Mista, thanks for the photos I think the wife is going to love this as she a a garlic freak (I will cook dinner for her sometimes and use a whole head of garlic for the two of us and she always could use a little more). It reminds of fondue, what else do you dip in it or have you used it as a sauce?
You could dip anything you like in it. Some people mix it in mashed potatoes or pour it over pasta.

We have used it as a dip for veggies also. Carrot and celery sticks are great dipped in Banga Cauda. Great way to get your vegetables.

Being a Roman mackeral snapper, bagna cauda was a staple in our household on Fridays and during lent while I was growing up. Our family makes it using only butter, olive oil, garlic, and anchovies. Sautee' the garlic in butter and olive oil but don't let it get brown. Add the can of anchovies and stir until they disolve. We only ate it drizzled over leafs of cabbage with plenty of good hard crust Italian bread.

Great Post Bigmista...Definately have to Put that on my To Do List !!

Can anyone say "Photochop"?

bagnaeat.jpg

I dare you.

bbqbull said:
We have used it as a dip for veggies also. Carrot and celery sticks are great dipped in Banga Cauda. Great way to get your vegetables.

Go ahead. Believe it's healthy...

Bigmista said:
You could dip anything you like in it. Some people mix it in mashed potatoes or pour it over pasta.

Add some clams and pour over linguine. It's a winner.

Plowboy said:
Interesting. Don't know if I've ever seen it or had it. 1/2 cup of garlic! Oh my gawd.

If it was fresh garlic it would really be strong. It looks like that minced garlic and it isn't too strong based on my tastes.

tony76248 said:
If it was fresh garlic it would really be strong. It looks like that minced garlic and it isn't too strong based on my tastes.

Brauma garlic! :-D

Do you guys remember that scene in Animal House when the fraternity was voting, and the photo of Flounder came up? That was my initial reaction, when scrolling through Neil's photos, when this came up!

bagnaeat.jpg

Neil said:
Being a Roman mackeral snapper, bagna cauda was a staple in our household on Fridays and during lent while I was growing up. Our family makes it using only butter, olive oil, garlic, and anchovies. Sautee' the garlic in butter and olive oil but don't let it get brown. Add the can of anchovies and stir until they disolve. We only ate it drizzled over leafs of cabbage with plenty of good hard crust Italian bread.

Sounds good to me, Neil. I'm going to try this version I found on Food Network tonight. May add a "touch" of butter as you suggest.

Olive oil
8 cloves garlic, minced
6 anchovies, optional
Large pinch chili flakes
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves

In a hot pan, pour a good amount of olive oil in. When the oil starts to warm up, add garlic and turn the flame down.

Add the anchovies, if using (don't worry about mincing them as they will dissolve in the mixture). The anchovies should cook in the garlic oil until the garlic becomes brown and the anchovies dissolve.
When the garlic gets light brown, about 5 minutes, add chili flakes until they toast up and then turn flame off. Add more olive oil and salt and pepper for flavor. Right before you heat the sauce in your fondue pot, add some minced parsley to cook in the sauce.

Man that looks good! DO you cook all that in the crock pot?........or is it only kept warm in it?

How much heavy cream do you add?

I might have to make a half batch of that!

I did it all in the crockpot. I usually add 3/4 of a pint of heavy cream. As the night goes on and it starts getting thicker, just add more cream.

FYI, the cream-less version was pretty tasty, just different.

Just need a shot of Mista taking a chug of it now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigmista said:
I've never had that problem. You guys might want to look into drinking a glass of water occassionally.

What is this water that you speak of?:confused: Kidding....looks good Mista

MMMmmmmMMMMmmm CREAM, And BUTTER...... and Garlic........:cool: LOVELY!!!

Nope. That's why I only had a couple of bites.

SmokeInDaEye said:
Olive oil
8 cloves garlic, minced
6 anchovies, optional
Large pinch chili flakes
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves

Thats more the traditional Italian version.

i.e. no butter, no soup, no cardiac :lol:

Back