My first try at Georgia Brunswick Stew

Thank you Phil and Ken! :-D

Mike, the wecipe didn't call for wabbit. :tongue: :biggrin:

another nice Brunswick Stew, I need to try this. Tortillas look like a good idea to accompany it all. Nice job Cowgirl.

Score another one for Jeanie. Great pics. My first experince to Brunswick Stew was when we lived in Smithfield Va. People up there used mostly chicken, as pork was in alot of other dishes! No BBQ sauce!:shock: Sorry Bulldog Fans!:icon_frow The stew was great!
Copied Sakio's recipe. Loved the grilled corn idea!

Yeah, I mentioned it in my original recipe thread, but you won't find BBQ sauce, rub, or even smoked meat in most brunswick stew recipes. There are basically two styles in Georgia: The brunwick served at homes, and the brunswick served at BBQ restaurants as a side dish. There really aren't many recipes for the BBQ restaurant style, as these guys not only don't publish their recipes, they usually won't even tell you what is in it.

I've tried to tweak my recipe over years to match what is served in most restaurants, not the home style. It's pretty close to what I get around in my neck of the woods.

Thanks Bob, Scot, Alan and Phu! :wink:
This was my first try and the first time I've even tasted brunswick stew. I'll be using Saiko's recipe again!

Oh man that looks good! Especially with the colder weather coming that looks like a good tummy warmer. Thanks for sharing and posting the link!

Mark, What a great gathering! Thanks so much for the link, it looks like you all had a good turnout. I am looking forward to trying your recipe too!
Thank you!!

Larry.... (((HUG))) :biggrin:

Thanks Toploader, I really liked Saiko's recipe... I bet Mark's is a keeper too!

should that not be heroine?? I don't want a gender discussion but damn,
Jeanie sounds and acts like a heroine:eusa_clap

Let the unsolicited marriage proposals begin (again)... Once again cowgirl, I'm sure you'll have them beating down your door. Another superb meal!

Great looking stew, mouth watering LOL

I also add baby lima beans to the stew, I also add BBQ chicken or plain cooked chicken breast meat, about 1 to 2 ratio for the smoked pork.

That was a good resceipt from Saieko, fresh stuff always good!!!!!!

We also cook up cornbread in black iron skillets to go with the stew!

smell of that stew simmering all day will drive anyone nuts!

That's beautiful!! And fresh flour tortillas. Wow! I remember my grandmothers making them and doing a few dozen at a time for the whole week. It was amazing to see them rolling them out tossing em on the CI and having 4 or 5 cooking away while they rolled another. It was a one woman assembly line. Course all of us grandkids would probably go through a dozen. Same way.........slathered in butter. Another good way to have them is to leave em on the griddle and keep flipping till they brown and become crispy, then put some butter and sprinkle with some sugar. Good stuff. Sometimes it was even peanut butter. Dang, some memories. You have inspired me to bring the art back and try making some of my own.

That stew looks like a winner. I'd hit a couple bowls and few torts at least! You rocked it Jeanie!!:eusa_clap

Awsum looking dinner I will be trying that tortilla recipe this weekend for sure. Thanks to this site I will probaly weigh 400 lbs in 2010

Wow, that probably tasted better than mine since you used fresh grilled corn and your own canned tomatoes. That looks great, and I love the addition of the tortillas! I have a tortillas press, so I'm going to give that a shot next time.
And now that you have a base for Brusnwick, you can tweak it and make it your own. A lot of home cooks in the south use butterbeans along with the corn, but it's rare to find BBQ restaurants that use them.
That looks fanstastic, very nice job as usual! I feel honored that you even considered one of my recipes!
I like butter beans in mine.
Saiko you caused a real stir. I havent had Brunswick Stew in years and saw your post and went to out to get the stuff to make some (Lived in Atlanta and Rome GA 20 years-Little 5 Points ), and got involved in a wacky work project. When I got home the ingredients had been picked over and I forgot all about it. THIS weekend, darnit!

Yet another bookmarked thread. Thanks All Involved!

Back