Smoked Venison Shoulder...self serve style?

I got a lot of learning to do...
Love your self serve table,best I've ever seen Doc.!:eusa_clap

Were you able to get the venison tender? It seems if I do venison shoulders I have to smoke a couple hours and then finish in a crock pot to get the meat to fall apart.

Thank you Big Brother!:wink:
Frognot, your deer camp sounds like something I'd like! Thanks!
HWSW...Thank you! I kind of like living in the middle of nowhere. lol

Nice shoulder!! I have never tried Spam before smoked or not. What does it taste like?

Rich, I love smoked spam... with a mixture of brown sugar and cayenne sprinkled on top and then I spritz it with whiskey. :-D

057-4-1.jpg

Thank you Dan, Jack and Cigarbque!!

nice work cowgirl! Any chances you'll clue me in to the time and temperature you smoked it at?

my best friend just shot a quality 9 point buck here (YES WE HAVE DEER IN NEW JERSEY...YUCK YUCK) and I've convinced him to let me sear up the backstraps for him (and me haha), but perhaps i can get him to let me smoke the shoulder for him/me too!

Thanks Jimmy! I smoked this one at 280 degrees until it reached an internal temp of 165. Then I heated the tortillas while the shoulder rested. I think it really helps to marinade the shoulder overnight. Makes them tender. They make good fajitas. :)

Great look'n grub!

Did you remove the "silver skin" before cooking?

Papa

Thanks Papa! Yes, I remove the silver skin on the outside...that's about all you can do to a shoulder before smoking. There is so much connective tissue, it's easier to cook it with and whittle around when eating the meat.
002-7-3.jpg

005-9-1.jpg

Phubar, You have a lot to teach!! I learn from all of your posts. :wink:

Were you able to get the venison tender? It seems if I do venison shoulders I have to smoke a couple hours and then finish in a crock pot to get the meat to fall apart.

Yes Tkuehn, it's tender, but I think marinading overnight helps a lot. I use them for fajitas or just carve the meat off leaving anything tough. The meat is tasty and tender though. :)

Thanks again!

i would like to help myself to your bounty. 8)

Simply gorgeous Jeanie. Do you do take out?:-D

Simply Awsome!!!:shock:

That looks sooo good! like Moores, glad it worked fo you. I'm sitting here in GA cooking a brisket on day 2 of nothing but rain:frown:. I'd trade the brisket just to be there hitting some of that shoulder:rolleyes:

Bambi Butt looks great there miss jeanie! I really am gonna have to get my deer tag next year and see what I can do. Heck I don;t think deer season ends here till 1 january so I still gotta chance to get one.

awesome job as always Jeanie... you truly know how to enjoy ALL of God's country. I will be stealing this idea from you next time we smoke a deer shoulder.

Rick, pull up a straw bale and grab a cold beer. :-D

Thank you Guerry and Big Jim!

Sorry J.,since I've been on the forum and saw Spam again it reminds me of an old sketch of Monty Python: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6N...E3D80C0DD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8

Phu, that's too funny! lol Thanks for the link. :-D

Simply Awsome!!!:shock:

That looks sooo good! like Moores, glad it worked fo you. I'm sitting here in GA cooking a brisket on day 2 of nothing but rain:frown:. I'd trade the brisket just to be there hitting some of that shoulder:rolleyes:

Boat-n-BBQ, your brisket sounds really good!! I'd share the venison for part of that brisket. Thanks!:-D

Thanks Marc, hope you get one. I know you are probably too busy to get out and hunt right now.

Tjus, hope it works out well for you!

Drifter...Thank you! :wink:

as always..looks delicious! nice job!

Great looking spread there Jeanie. Never would have considerd smoking a whole shoulder. You've got the world by the nads! Good friends, great food, and man what beautiful country! Keep it coming!

Outstanding as usual Jeanie, you never cease to amaze me. :icon_bigsmil

That shot of the fajitas/tacos/whatever you want to call them has me ready for lunch now!

B-U-T-ful Jeanie!... I've never cooked any game meats except in burger form.
My hunter friends up here in Colorado go for deer, elk, and antelope every year. This season was a bad one for them so far. They promised to bring me some big cuts once they get lucky. Anyway, any tips or advice would be great for cooking those lean, game cuts!

I could sit by the fire for hour's or at least till that great looking food was gone! Nice place ya got there. Love the table, How big is that cast iron skillet?

Back