Prime Briskie on Coshell briqs--Come on in

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I hadn't done brisket in a while and had a prime in the freezer and decided to get to it.

A 10lber. I prefer my brisket in the 10-12 lb range.

20140119_103139.jpg

After trimming it weighed 7.5lbs. Seasoned with S&P

20140119_111934_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Hmmmmm.... What do I use??? I wasn't sure if I should use the Coshell since it was my first time and didn't know what to expect but I said "Fark it!"

20140118_161152.jpg

About 5.5lbs in the chimney.

20140119_112323_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

It takes a bit longer than usual for these guys to get started but no complaints. More beer to be had:biggrin1:

20140119_120925_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Hung the briskie

20140119_121104_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

After 3 hours the brisket was at 160 IT. Wrapped in butcher paper and it went back in the PBC to finish. It went another 2 hrs and it probed like butta at 190ish. So I took it out and let it rest for about an hour or so.

20140119_163910.jpg

In the meantime made some creamy mashed taters with roasted garic

20140119_172841.jpg

And some gravy

20140119_173028.jpg

Finished product:razz:

20140119_183614_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Separated the point from the flat

20140119_183732_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Sliced the flat and about half of the point since some family likes the point better. The half point was cubed, sauced and back in the grill for burnt ends.

20140119_183905_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Ohh baby!

20140119_183916_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Time to eat

20140119_184829.jpg

One of my great friends came back from a weekend at Mammoth Lakes and sent this for me to enjoy. Perfect timing.

20140119_181815_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

20140119_181909.jpg

After dining and drinks the Burnt ends were ready. Here is a pic of what was left of it. They went fast :wink:

20140119_204129_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Atlantic City treat to make it right after a great dinner

20140119_234951_Richtone%2528HDR%2529.jpg

Overall very satisfied with the briqs. They tend to take a bit to start but burn hotter and longer. Using 5.5lbs total, the brisket took 5 hours from start to finish. After that I put the burnt ends on and it ran another 3 hrs. Total burn time of 8 hrs. I ended up with 1lb of ash after it burned the full 8 hrs just in case anyone needs this info.

Thanks for looking!!

that brisket looks damn fine!

Everything looks delicious. Glad you were able to try the coshell briquettes. I wanted so bad to pickup a few bags but instead caught the bug that was going around.

Now need to trek to the nearest lowes.

Everything looks delicious. Glad you were able to try the coshell briquettes. I wanted so bad to pickup a few bags but instead caught the bug that was going around.

Now need to trek to the nearest lowes.

Thanks!! Suck you caught the bug. I did for a day but was able to fight it off.

Def try them. They're good stuff. I'm going back for more and stocking up on these briqs. Don't get fooled by that Go Green verbiage, they're the real deal.

Looks great, glad you decided not to burn the tires!

Hahaa!! You better believe the tires are going to get burned. Different kind of burn:mrgreen: I like smoking in any way I can get it.

Thanks for the feedback on the coshells been wanting to try them. The briskey looks awesome BTW

Thanks!! Suck you caught the bug. I did for a day but was able to fight it off.

Def try them. They're good stuff. I'm going back for more and stocking up on these briqs. Don't get fooled by that Go Green verbiage, they're the real deal.

ssv3,

Had the bug for a little over a week. It didn't help that I had to go to a friends bachelor party in Vegas and only slept 6 hours in 2 days.:shock:

Did the ecoshell give a clean smoke flavor like stubbs. I used two bags of stubbs and now I'm addicted. Need to sell off my remaining stock of kbb or most likely just use it in the kettle for grilling.

Looks fantastic! I think I could dive into those potatoes. :grin:

ssv3,

Had the bug for a little over a week. It didn't help that I had to go to a friends bachelor party in Vegas and only slept 6 hours in 2 days.:shock:

Did the ecoshell give a clean smoke flavor like stubbs. I used two bags of stubbs and now I'm addicted. Need to sell off my remaining stock of kbb or most likely just use it in the kettle for grilling.

Vegas sure doesn't help. I pick up a bug or two coming back from Vegas but that's another story. :loco:

Anyway,

These coco briqs burn very clean with no thick white smoke that you get with Stubbs in the beginning. The smoke doesn't stick on you like lump or Stubbs. It gives you a mild pleasant "fruit wood type" of smoke flavor. I think I would add some chunks to it in the future depending the smoke flavor I'm aiming for and type of meat. Stubbs is good stuff but I like these just as much as Stubbs if not better. Burns very, very clean sort of like good lump charcoal. Burn hotter and seems like it's got more strength to it even say after 6 hours.

I'm still experimenting with it and will throw some chicken in the PBC tonight and see how much smoke flavor I get since poultry absorbs more smoke.

I never liked or used KBB except a comp bag once so I wouldn't even know how it compares. I'll keep you posted.

Looks great! I wanna try those coshells! I don't think I'll find them around here though...:tsk:

Outstanding. Gotta love cooking in a barrel :bow:

Don't tell anyone, but those of us that have one know it's the horseshoes :mod:

Looks great! Damn I'd kill that. Did you notice any flavor difference with the coshells?

Looks great! I wanna try those coshells! I don't think I'll find them around here though...:tsk:

Thank you!

Lowes starting to carry them. You never know. I didn't have my hopes up either when Brother MBShop posted his find but much to my surprise my area carries them too.

Outstanding. Gotta love cooking in a barrel :bow:

Don't tell anyone, but those of us that have one know it's the horseshoes :mod:

:mrgreen: It's the horseshoes no doubt. I nail horseshoes to everything now since I'm so impressed with the "barrell:

BTW Thank you!

Looks great! Damn I'd kill that. Did you notice any flavor difference with the coshells?

Thank you,

Not much flavor difference just a very, very mild smoke taste.

Back