New to me Lang 36 Patio Stainless Steel - Thank you CL!

That will be fun. Stickburning is the most enjoyable way to cook barbecue IMHO.

I'm jealous! All I see is worn out gas grills and brinkman smoke n' grills. I'd have jumped on that in a heartbeat!!

Congrats brother! Seem to be some decent CL deals out there. Good to see the brethren out there scooping them up!

Thanks guys. This thing sat on CL for a few days before I even saw it. I figured it would be gone, but there was both a Lang 84 Deluxe (older with the bullet nose chamber) and this Lang 36 within 100 miles of each other.

I spent hours next to that cooker last night and it was nice. After I got a pork butt onto the Assassin 28 this morning, I began work on the Lang 36. I kept my word and started with a composite brush, then an 80 grit flap disk. I cleaned up some of the welds and removed some splatter. I also descaled some of the hot rolled steel on it, like the angle iron frame around the shelf to give it a nicer appearance. Lastly I degreased it and applied two coats of BBQ paint. I'd say it looks pretty dang good for about $22 in paint.

Prepped:

20140105_103940.jpg

Finished:

20140105_113603.jpg

20140105_113618.jpg

I hand cut a piece of scrap expanded metal I had laying around to better use lump with this thing for the time being. Testing that out by running it up to 150-200 degrees just to cure the paint, so that's what I'm doing right now:

20140105_114505.jpg

I'm going to order a 1/4 cord of white oak and a 1/4 cord of almond wood to get me started. My step dad knows someone with a pear orchard here in the area, so I'm going to see if I can get some pear wood as well. I ordered myself an 8' log rack.

I also ordered some 9 gauge heavy duty expanded metal to build a charcoal basket. I'm probably going to make it a slide out with a matching slide out ash pan below the firebox. Time to get to designing.

I cured the paint, seasoned the rest of the interior and it's ready for it's first cook.

I repainted it again yesterday in satin:

20140111_155522.jpg

Added the finishing touch today:

20140112_142537.jpg

I start on the slide out charcoal basket next weekend using 9GA expanded metal.

Back