Lump vs. Charcoal

BerryPatchBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Which do you prefer and what brand? I have used all kinds. Just wandering how many different selections this will get.

Lump only. My favorite is The Good One, but I also like Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg, Royal Oak and Fire King.

I have both. Still trying to figure out which one is better.

Lump burns hotter and sears better.

Charcoal holds temp better and longer.

Both from Wicked Good - lump in the offset, briquettes in the backwoods

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
I'm with CBQ I'm a wicked Good fan lump and briquettes both are fantastic!

Lump VS Charcoal?

.... I thought lump IS charcoal....:shock:

OH... you mean those weird little "pillows" of unknown char material called bricks?

YUCK!

Don't mind me....... just move along.

Stubbs briquettes are all I use in my Superiors. They burn clean and produce little ash compared to K.

I had settled into buying Stubbs brickettes or Cowboy Lump, but I've just started making my own lump and I'm very happy with it. Made 2 batches now & have about 80 pounds on hand, so I doubt if I'll be buying charcoal except as a backup.

I tried going with lump in my superior, bc of the whole idea that is burns cleaner, but, two for two, it got caught up in the chute, and didnt burn correct, causing a nasty smoke flare up, like when ya just start the coals. It sucked. Made my food have black crap, so i went back to Kingsford Competition Briquettes. In my gravity fed smoker, i say briquettes are best.

We switched from briquettes to lump about half way through the year and are happy with the results.

We get cleaner and longer cooks with the lump than we did with briquettes.

Right now we are using Royal Oak, mainly because it is easy to come by (Nature Glo and GFS are both just repackaged Royal Oak). We cooked a few times with Ozark Oak and loved it but it is much harder for us to get in Ohio.

We switched from briquettes to lump about half way through the year and are happy with the results.

We get cleaner and longer cooks with the lump than we did with briquettes.

Right now we are using Royal Oak, mainly because it is easy to come by (Nature Glo and GFS are both just repackaged Royal Oak). We cooked a few times with Ozark Oak and loved it but it is much harder for us to get in Ohio.

Interesting... you get longer smokes out of lump over briquettes? I thought it was usually the other way around?

Interesting... you get longer smokes out of lump over briquettes? I thought it was usually the other way around?

Yeah, I scratched my head on this one too. I get longer more consistent burns with briquettes vs. lump.

I prefer briquettes in my WSM, but use lump because I get a 18lb bag for $9 at Rest. Depot.

When using briquettes though I prefer Stubbs, Kingsford Blue has too much ash production.

For grilling anything less than an hour cook time, I really like lump. Hot as heck and starts fast too.

For smoking, I like the constant steady burn of charcoal briquettes if I am not using a temp control unit (fan system). I like how predictable it burns.

If you're going on fan(s), lump is cleaner and often more efficient.

It doesn't really matter. Get used to whatever you like and you'll get good at it.

We were surprised with the result as well. We didn't expect that at all.

It is most noticeable in our big cooker (ABS Judge). We put in probably half as much (by weight, not volume) as we did when we used briquettes and get probably 20% longer cook time before we have to refill. The firebox on the Judge is pretty big and there is lots of air in the cooking chamber to feed the fire, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm not sure we have observed the same increase in our smaller cooker (ABS Bar-B-Cube, same general design as a WSM).

We control both smokers with a stoker.

Last edited:
Back