Worst Competition Mistake Ever?

E

egghead78

My bbq team is preparing to enter our first competition. In the true spirit of humbleness and education, what is the worst mistake you or your team has made during a competition?
all responses are very much appreciated.

Expecting a call. We've turned in some of the best stuff we ever cooked...nothing! Turned in less than desirable stuff....top 5! You just never know....

Thanks qn, still new and trying to learn the searches. I also hate replication of previous threads.

Worst mistake?

Showing up to a contest, not know what the four categories are as well as never having practice the specific timing or never having built a box.

That happened to the team next to me at a contest. I spent all contest talking.

They had never even SEEN a pork butt (but I taught them so well then got a 10th place call) :D

I don't know what my worst mistake was, but I think the most valuable lesson to be learned is to stay organized. Write everything down in multiple forms so you don't have to think on the morning of turn-ins. Just read from your script and stay on schedule. Also, don't underestimate how long it will take you to build your box. Better to take a leisurely stroll to the turn in table than to sprint to the finish barely making or missing your turn in. :doh:

My biggest mistakes were non cooking related - I did not bring anyhing to sleep on....or any lights....DOOUUHH! (home simpson voice) the BBQ community for is always great in helping out the newbs - I would not stress to much about making sure everything is perfect and just try to have fun and learn what you can with the first one - Introduce your self to you neaighbors and tell them its your first comp and I bet a dollar to donut they will help you or let you borrow anything you might have forgotten - Good Luck!

Last grilling contest of the year and I turned in a category in the wrong order. Cost me NEBS team of the year. This was 2002 I think

The biggest / most common mistakes I've seen repping / working contests:

• Failure to read and understand the rules. Not sure? Ask!
  • Not attending / not paying attention at the cook's meeting
  • Getting caught up in the party atmosphere
  • Changing your game plan halfway through your cook because of what your neighbor is doing

This has been some awesome information. Its not often that you find a board where everyone is so helpful. I truly appreciate it.

As for expectations, we want to have fun, cook some good q, and meet some new people. I view it like my golf game...i like competition but i have never once relied on golf to feed the family. That stress falls to my day job...

Again, thank you everyone for your willingness to help.

I forgot shoes once. Had to wear crappy uncomfortable sandals on blacktop for two days in 90 degree weather. Those went straight in the garbage when I got home.

I turned in tandoori chicken not once, but twice.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Overpacking. There are some good checklists out there for "stuff to bring to comps". When you end up with 6 of everything it's a pain to shuffle through lots of cr*p to find that urgently needed item.

And just say no to that yummy apple flavored moonshine offered to you at 1am. Trust me on that one :)

My worst mistake? Cooking that first contest...now I can't stop!! :becky::crazy:

THIS!!!!!!! :wacko:

I forgot shoes once. Had to wear crappy uncomfortable sandals on blacktop for two days in 90 degree weather. Those went straight in the garbage when I got home.

I turned in tandoori chicken not once, but twice.

You had smelly butts once, too! :shock: :butt:

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Just happened - not trimming any of our meats before we got there and only having single stoplight.

Not paying attention and grabbing the Simple Green spray bottle and not the apple juice bottle and hitting the nearly finished ribs...I know there are a few judges that are glad that stuff is non-toxic!

Back