Rotisserie counterweight

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just bought me a rotisserie kit for my grill. It is a universal kit so it fits many grills. My question is about the dang weight that comes with it. Does it spin with the rod or stay stationary. To me, i think it should spin with it because if you let it hang, then its like adding more food but at the ends of the rod. The instructions were very vague.

thanx

The counterweight is connected to the rod and spins with it, its purpose is to account for an imbalance of the meat on the rod, so that the rotisserie will spin easily all the way around.

The counterweight is connected to the rod and spins with it, its purpose is to account for an imbalance of the meat on the rod, so that the rotisserie will spin easily all the way around.

Ok thats what i thought. The instructions give no example of how to even use the counter weight. So im assuming that i move it up and down, then tighten it so it spins with it to ensure proper balance?

thanx

Matt

I don't use them. I make sure the meat is properly balanced on the rod.

Spins with the food. Listen to the motor to when it is stressing, and move the weight accordingly. Takes some trial and error, but you'll get it.
Kind of hard to balance a bird on the rod without some kind of help.

Spins with the food. Listen to the motor to when it is stressing, and move the weight accordingly. Takes some trial and error, but you'll get it.
Kind of hard to balance a bird on the rod without some kind of help.

thanx for the hints. Cant wait to try it out this week

The instructions with mine said to position it on the opposite side of the heaviest side of the meat, so for example a lamb roast is wider on one side. On the other side is the weight, tightened to spin with the rod. I also found that I can move it closer or further from the rod and when listening to the motor that can make a difference.

I hate to bring up an old topic but trying to figure this out with my new weber rotisserie... my initial thought is to set the skewer and meat on the ring without the motor so the heaviest portion is at 6 o'clock.... then position the counterweight at 12 o'clock. Any help would be appreciated and I will report back if this works.

Edit: lol at my status, I have never used matchlight or charcoal starter fluid... I use the empty charcoal bags with a little veggie oil squirted on it and a chimney. Also I got a lighter I found in my yard a couple of years ago so I don't have to wander around for that... now I do have to wander around to find other stuff though... I plan on making another post in the next 12 months maybe (my doc says it is ok to make one post per year but not to overdo it).

Back