Questions about wood storage

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just bought a 400 lb log of Hickory ($50). I'm gonna cut it up today but wonder what I need to consider when storing it. Can I cover it and keep it outside - may get some rain and snow exposure?

Also, they guy who sold it to me says he cut it about 7 months ago. Is that dry enough to use? I'm a gonna but wonder what you all think...:cool:

Cut it and split it, when you stack it put something underneath to keep the splits off the ground. (I just did some oak and placed 2 old 4x4's on the ground parallel to each other and stacked the splits on it). Cover it with a tarp and you'll be good. The wood really shouldn't absorb rain water. If the log hasn't been cut or split it may still be too wet to use. Once cut and split bang two pieces together. Should make a hard, crisp sound, not a thud.

just remember to watch for copperheads in the stack after it's set a while.- they love to hide in wood piles.

monty:

Sounds like you bought a tree trunk. I seriously doubt it's dry enough yet.

The smaller of chunks the quicker it will dry but (obviously) the more work ther is in preparing it. I use about fist-sized chunks in my Bandera and UDS. I store them in several 55-gallon plastic drums.

The end pieces might be seasoned enough.

What's the diameter and length of it? Hope you have a big saw!

Back