Music entertainment for comps

M

Matt_A

So, do you think a good Elvis Impersonator and a 10 person backup group would be popular right before the award ceremony at a comp?

No, more like torture. Keep it simple. Make sure there will be plenty of ice available after last turn in for people to pack their hot meat in for the trip home. If you want to do something nice for the cooks, I assume the wards will be indoors in an airconditioned room. The cooks will be tired, dirty and sweaty from the heat and more than ready to hit the road. Hand out free snow cones, or ice cream sundaes. But do not prolong their agony with any band, especially and Elvis impersonator. You want people to talk about you cook-off aftwards. If it is going to be about the last thing they remember, make sure it is positive

Robert

^^^^^^ Amen. Awards are long enough. Nice that you're thinking of something to entertain the cooks though.

If it is before the awards like you said then hell ya!

Gotta agree with Robert on every point.

It's not because I have to see and listen to Elvis hacks weekly here in the UK. lol

I agree, it'd be more like torture - just get to the awards! If you've GOT to do that, at least put out a schedule and let the cookers know about it. Of course, if this is in a climate-controlled room and you're providing showers to the cookers for them to use after the contest and you don't mind if a few of them sit there and sleep thru it since they're probably exhausted, then go ahead...

Lynn H.

IF you are talking before awards, as in the scores are not ready yet. A little entertainment might not be bad to bring folks in. But as was said above I wouldnt do it for the cooks. Most will be packing to leave.

No, more like torture. Keep it simple. Make sure there will be plenty of ice available after last turn in for people to pack their hot meat in for the trip home. If you want to do something nice for the cooks, I assume the wards will be indoors in an airconditioned room. The cooks will be tired, dirty and sweaty from the heat and more than ready to hit the road. Hand out free snow cones, or ice cream sundaes. But do not prolong their agony with any band, especially and Elvis impersonator. You want people to talk about you cook-off aftwards. If it is going to be about the last thing they remember, make sure it is positive

Robert

+1 Robert!

This last weekend, we went to the awards that were supposed to start at 6:00 PM. We were completely exhausted. Around here and I suppose a lot of these cooks are charity events. The awards did not start until nearly 7:30 PM, a full hour and a half later than they told us it would. We had to listen to a lousy auctioneer selling a bunch of stuff to the rich folks in that little town who wanted everyone to know how rich they were. It was really bad. I could have taken a nap! Don't make us sit through crap like that.

IF you are talking before awards, as in the scores are not ready yet. A little entertainment might not be bad to bring folks in. But as was said above I wouldnt do it for the cooks. Most will be packing to leave.
Awards @ 4pm, Music from 2pm to 4pm.

There will be a band before the scheduled awards ceremony, as in 'the scores aren't ready yet'. The music ends before the ceremony is scheduled to start.

I was mainly interested to see if the Elvis act would be popular or a dud. Personally I'm not a fan of Elvis impersonators, but this guy is actually pretty good.

This last weekend, we went to the awards that were supposed to start at 6:00 PM. We were completely exhausted. Around here and I suppose a lot of these cooks are charity events. The awards did not start until nearly 7:30 PM, a full hour and a half later than they told us it would. We had to listen to a lousy auctioneer selling a bunch of stuff to the rich folks in that little town who wanted everyone to know how rich they were. It was really bad. I could have taken a nap! Don't make us sit through crap like that.
I won't make you wait, barring any unforseen circumstances, the awards will start on time.

Did you know Elvis is still alive?
If you rearange the letters in Elvis .. you can spell Lives.
And if you rearrange the letters in Presley you can spell slurpy. So I know he's alive and working at a 7-11 somewhere, I just have not figured out which one yet.

Elvis is good I listen to him all the time. Just ask my neighbors at contests. :thumb: for a Elvis.

WOW! Its bad enough awards weren't until 6. I would have had the auctioneers head for that stunt.

WOW! Its bad enough awards weren't until 6. I would have had the auctioneers head for that stunt.

Yep, Texas IBCA. This one had Chicken 1:00, Ribs 2:00, Other 3:00, Brisket 4:00 then awards at 6:00...er ah...7:30. :mmph:

Awards @ 4pm, Music from 2pm to 4pm.

There will be a band before the scheduled awards ceremony, as in 'the scores aren't ready yet'. The music ends before the ceremony is scheduled to start.

I was mainly interested to see if the Elvis act would be popular or a dud. Personally I'm not a fan of Elvis impersonators, but this guy is actually pretty good.

Matt,
The nature of the entertainment should be determined by the "likes" of the majority of the crowd (spectators) you expect.
Not the reletively small numbers of teams.

No matter what genre the entertainment is (with a small exception :oops:), I could care less as long as awards start on time.

TIM

Nothing worse than awards that start late and then preceded by a bunch of blow hards that like to hear themselves talk. Did comp last week in Ames, awards were only 5 min late. Unprecedented from what I've experienced! A quick thank you to the sponsors and we were done in about ten minutes!! Perfect! Organizers please take note!

Running a bid up for charity is not wanting everyone in town to know how rich they are. Its usually just giving back. The awards should have been on time. But helping the charity is what the bidders were there for. Why were you there?

So, do you think a good Elvis Impersonator and a 10 person backup group would be popular right before the award ceremony at a comp?

Matt, They played the saturday Morning of Smokin Thang last year. They have a cute little act and aren't overly obtrusive. They stopped when we needed them too during their set and took a break for the judges to have their meeting and not have to try to have music blaring over the meeting.

They were very nice people.

Back