4th Of July. 1st Steak Cooked On The New Pellet Smoker

Hi Jeremy,

The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side.

Thank you.

Depends on the thickness of your meat. Go by temperature. 135 is medium rare, 145 medium, 155 medium well. Make sure the probe is in the middle and cook to your temp. If you want medium,go till it hits 140, then you are ready to sear a minute or two each side.You should be close to 145 after that.

The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side. Would like to also say the we all tasted the nice smoke from the smoker which was really coming off a gas grill.

Thank you.

I think you are more worried about the technique and process than the desired finished product. Start with what you want to end result to be then work backwards. And a big part of that is the kind of steak you are starting out with. I alter my technique to the steak, not the other way around. If I have a steak about the thickness of the ones you showed, no way I am trying a reverse sear. Just too thin. For those kind of steaks, I am doing a hot and fast sear. Crank your pit up as hot as you can get it and sear about 5 minutes per side more or less. I say that because I don't know how hot your grill can get. On my Rec Tec with grill grates, I get up to around 450 and for medium rare do about 5-5.5 minutes per side, turning halfway for cross-hatches. On my Primo, I am blasting around 650 and only need 3.5 to 4.5 minutes per side. But with a much thicker steak, that technique wouldn't work so well because I would end up with a thick band of well done meat and a thick band of rare in the middle. I reverse sear those.

My suggestion is to invest in some grill grates. practice both techniques of hot and fast and reverse sear. Plenty threads here to follow.

Depends on the thickness of your meat. Go by temperature. 135 is medium rare, 145 medium, 155 medium well. Make sure the probe is in the middle and cook to your temp. If you want medium,go till it hits 140, then you are ready to sear a minute or two each side.You should be close to 145 after that.

Hi Jeremy,

I notice that some put the meat prob through the side in the middle and some through the top. All trying not to touch the bone or hunks of fat.

Thank you.

I think you are more worried about the technique and process than the desired finished product. Start with what you want to end result to be then work backwards. And a big part of that is the kind of steak you are starting out with. I alter my technique to the steak, not the other way around. If I have a steak about the thickness of the ones you showed, no way I am trying a reverse sear. Just too thin. For those kind of steaks, I am doing a hot and fast sear. Crank your pit up as hot as you can get it and sear about 5 minutes per side more or less. I say that because I don't know how hot your grill can get. On my Rec Tec with grill grates, I get up to around 450 and for medium rare do about 5-5.5 minutes per side, turning halfway for cross-hatches. On my Primo, I am blasting around 650 and only need 3.5 to 4.5 minutes per side. But with a much thicker steak, that technique wouldn't work so well because I would end up with a thick band of well done meat and a thick band of rare in the middle. I reverse sear those.

My suggestion is to invest in some grill grates. practice both techniques of hot and fast and reverse sear. Plenty threads here to follow.

I think what I am after and achieved was adding lots smoke into the steak even though I over cooked the steak. Adding smoke in the steak is new kind of taste for us with the new smoker. Thank you for your suggestions, good to think about.

Hi Jeremy,

I notice that some put the meat prob through the side in the middle and some through the top. All trying not to touch the bone or hunks of fat.

Thank you.

You want to get the middle. If you stick it through the side, make sure you have it level. I will also just pick it up with tongs and bend it over, then probe into the middle, keeping away from the outside the best I can.

You want to get the middle. If you stick it through the side, make sure you have it level. I will also just pick it up with tongs and bend it over, then probe into the middle, keeping away from the outside the best I can.

Thank you.

Back