Practicing half chix this wknd, thoughts?

Homebrewed Q

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hello Brethren! Finally firing up my new BWS Fatboy this weekend and am going to throw 4 half chickens on for practice (IBCA style), as this is my weakest category, and will be running on a comp style schedule. My questions are these: Brine or no brine, rub under the skin and on top, inject or not, and sauce/glaze or not? I did read the comp forum guidelines and they said this should be posted on Q-talk but feel free to move if I'm in error
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Not familiar with IBCA, but I'll toss my $.02 in since you asked:

Brine, not injection. IMHO, birds take brine flavors very easily and direct injecting can either over do it, or discolor the meat in an uneven way. But be careful. You can over brine too. Make sure you rinse the bird well with cool, fresh water before you season it and to make sure you get all the extra brine out from under the loose skin.

Definitely rub under the skin. I make a compound butter with the same rub I put on the outside and smear that all under the skin; breast, thigh and leg.

Decide on sauce at the end of the cook. If you've got good color and moistness, I'd forego the sauce. If it's dry or you think the color is off, a good glaze can cover a variety of mistakes.

I'd just recommend trying some things that are out of your norm. That way you have a basis for comparison.

Gonna move this to Comp section so the folks there can give you specific advice.

Bob

I've only done one comp so far (IBCA), and from what I understand they pull the skin off.

Only if they can't cut through it with a plastic knife.

There's a fine line between a top 10 chicken and a raw chicken. Must be juicy.

HQ,

Square off the chicken, scrape a bit under the skin... and brine for at least 12-16 hours. Rub, and cook.

You've got an excellent water cooker. You're gonna make the family drool over how good your chicken is, trust me.

HQ,

Square off the chicken, scrape a bit under the skin... and brine for at least 12-16 hours. Rub, and cook.

You've got an excellent water cooker. You're gonna make the family drool over how good your chicken is, trust me.

Square off a half chicken? :-D

Homebrewed... Since you'r practicing, try one half brined, one half no brine, and then also do one half with a dry brine.

Square off a half chicken? :-D

Homebrewed... Since you'r practicing, try one half brined, one half no brine, and then also do one half with a dry brine.

I'll definitely try the dry brine as one of the methods. Thanks Ron! And to btcg, IBCA requires fully jointed half chickens at turn in, so cannot square off but can certainly trim up and make 'em look purdy.

Not familiar with IBCA, but I'll toss my $.02 in since you asked:

Brine, not injection. IMHO, birds take brine flavors very easily and direct injecting can either over do it, or discolor the meat in an uneven way. But be careful. You can over brine too. Make sure you rinse the bird well with cool, fresh water before you season it and to make sure you get all the extra brine out from under the loose skin.

Definitely rub under the skin. I make a compound butter with the same rub I put on the outside and smear that all under the skin; breast, thigh and leg.

Decide on sauce at the end of the cook. If you've got good color and moistness, I'd forego the sauce. If it's dry or you think the color is off, a good glaze can cover a variety of mistakes.

Thanks SHB, I'll try the compound butter as well. Question though, real butter or margerine? If real butter I'm assuming unsalted?

Back