Concession / Catering THread

A

auscos

Anyone do this?

I hear there are people that do the State Fair and live off the proceeds the rest of the year.

I also hear there is a five year waiting list for the Texas State Fair.

What about more "Small Time?"

I'm tired of my regular job and this seems tempting to me.

someone here, a Texan I believe, has a WalMart or something that rents out the back of the lot every weekend for Q.

Who was it that was thinking of doing this?

State Fair is PRICEY with a lot of competition. Fletchers always gets my money for food. Last time I talked to anybody that had any type of booth they were paying a boatload of cash for insurance. I'd think you'd need a good size pit to turn out enough product to cover you expenses. Payroll would be pretty tough since I'm sure that you are required to keep the booth open during fair hours (approx. 10 AM-10 or 11 PM) for the better part of a month.

Insurance runs about 1500-2k/year for $1M liability. U need that about anywhere.

Big pit and a couple of cheap warming ovens req'd.

Payroll a nightmare, unless can find other bbq-addict-geezers like myself, inclined to stare ar a pit and drink beer all day.

The L.A. County Fair is pretty expensive here too. I want to work some Jazz festivals and things like that but I need to perfect my technique and get a big pit first.

Driving the country, hitting the blues and jazz festivlas. Going where the weather suits my clothes. SOunds like a decent life.

CHeck out http://www.sybbq.com/concession.php

I called and talked to one company, told them what I wanted and they quoted me 45K, but it would be too heavy to pull with my 3/4 ton. Guess I would need to lose the "bunk room" where an old man could catch some zzz's.

auscos said:
Insurance runs about 1500-2k/year for $1M liability. U need that about anywhere.

Payroll a nightmare, unless can find other bbq-addict-geezers like myself, inclined to stare ar a pit and drink beer all day.

Glad I don't live where you do! I pay $350 a year for $2 million in coverage. Payroll is cheaper if you have family or friends to help you.

Start out doing smaller events and work your way up to the big fairs. You can make some realy good money but it is alot of work.

midnight said:
auscos said:

Glad I don't live where you do! I pay $350 a year for $2 million in coverage. Payroll is cheaper if you have family or friends to help you.

Start out doing smaller events and work your way up to the big fairs. You can make some realy good money but it is alot of work.

Can/Will you define what realy good money is to you? Means somenthing different to everyone. Net $'s per event is?

Excellent question Al. I am working on projections, now.. but that is all they are... projections.

A little help from those that have done festivals? For example, at a 5000 person event, how many customers could you expect? If I can get a reliable number there, I can do all the other expenses and come up with a realistic net.

Back